DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: svchost.exe file in Windows explained

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Lightbulb svchost.exe file in Windows explained

Svchost.exe is a process on your computer that hosts, or contains, other individual services that Windows uses to perform various functions. For example, Windows Defender uses a service that is hosted by a svchost.exe process.

There can be multiple instances of svchost.exe running on your computer, with each instance containing different services. One instance of svchost.exe might host a single service for a program, and another instance might host several services related to Windows. You can use Task Manager to view which services are running under each instance of svchost.exe.

To view which services are currently running under svchost.exe
    1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar and then clicking Task Manager.
    2. Click the Processes tab.
    3. Click Show processes from all users. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Right-click an instance of svchost.exe, and then click Go to Service(s). The services associated with the process are highlighted on the Services tab.

Note: If you install a program and begin receiving notices that Data Execution Prevention (DEP), a security feature of Windows, is closing svchost.exe or other Windows processes, the cause could be services or extensions created by the program. Check with the publisher of the program to see if there is an updated, DEP-compatible version available, or try uninstalling the program.

More here on svchost.

seti is offline Member

whatis.techtarget.com check that link out and it will give a full reply to your question

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The legit MS svchost.exe file, is situated in the system32 folder. If it is found anywhere else, it, in all probability could be malware. Malware writers also love to change the spelling a bit and call it scvhost.exe and place it in the system32 folder, to confuse people. Just a small tidbit on the subject.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Here is another nice write-up about it ( What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running? :: the How-To Geek )

leofelix is offline Member

good review,
    Thank you
    you may also take a look here

svchost.exe - What is svchost.exe?

there are some viruses related to this important Windows file, as HappyHandiK noticed.

Please do not download the "free registry scanner" they advertise: it's not a rogue but it's not free like it claims to be

thanks guys......all of your's links provide me good knowledge about the processes.....great share thanks you all.......
    i use process explorer of sysinternals suite to monitor my running processes...it is a good utility.....provides a detailed explanation of every running process.
    Last edited by nitinagarwal1988; 27th February 2009 at 17:06.

leofelix is offline Member

very good software sysinternals suite in my humble opinion,
    once again thank you nitinagarwal1988

Kundoh is offline New Member

Oh damn I got a huge bunch svchost running in the background

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Kundoh, this is normal. You will have a dozen or more. Download and run Process Explorer . When you hover over the individual SVCHost.exes, it will tell you what they are used for.

yeah i already use process explorer to learn and manage the processes of my PC. thanks whs for suggesting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast