Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prune windows 7

Ianw is offline New Member

Default Prune windows 7

Hi

Does any one have any experience of pruning down the installation disc. I have used a little program called nlite to prune WinXP so I could install it on my EEE PC 4g.

Been thinking about putting windows 7 onto it but they say 16Gb of disc space, so looking to get it down below the 4Gb that the netbook has.

So any pointers???

Ian

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

16 GB for W7 ?

i installed W7 beta on a 7GB partition without any problems,
    if i remember correctly i had 1GB free after the installation was finished.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Microsoft recommends 16 GB of available disk space for 32-bit and 20 GB for 64-bit. Thats to take care of future updates/program installations too. My Windows 7 partition today with the basic programs like AV etc is around 10GB.

Windows 7 is lean & mean Vista and I really dont think you should consider using programs like nLite or vLite to further trim it, as it has been shown that such programs invariable could break the OS as they end up dropping components which one may need in future. This often results in problems when installing certain updates or packs.

Anyway, vLite I believe works with Windows 7. You may want to check it out before using it.

seti is offline Member

I don't really see the need to rush into things at the moment as Andy says you could do harm if you are not careful. Wait until our friend and MVP tweak has done things or visit his site intowindows for advice, before doing anything. You really wnat to get the best out of 7 not half the experience dont you.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

use W7 as it is as available, nliting it will results to malfunctioning of various features of w7. wait for the basic version of W7 to release, if you want to use it on netbooks...

Ianw is offline New Member

Might be better off waiting for the basic version. Anyway can still play with it on the other desktop pc.

Thanks

^yeah that is the right choice, or if you cant wait for the basic edition to release then read the following post and unlock the other editions of W7 RC build and then use it on the netbook.
    Unlock different versions of Windows 7 by registry fix

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

I can't understand why users want to go for basic or premium even when the Ultimate edition is available free!!

^tweak, as you know netbooks are not so much powerful to run ultimate edition of the W7, thats why he is asking for the other version of the W7, basic and home premium have very less hardware requirement as compare to Ultimate edition.......

iMav is offline Gold Member

Hardware requirements are pretty much the same, the difference is between features. Win 7 Ulti runs flawlessly on netbooks from what I've been hearing. The only issue is the hard disc space. Win 7 on a fresh install takes about 9-10 gigs. Once installed disabling hibernation & sys page file you can come down drastically.

As far the thread goes, this tutorial will help you.

Please do post back as confirmation if you get it working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast