DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Automatically Clear Page File at Shutdown

Kishan is offline Senior Member

Default Automatically Clear Page File at Shutdown

If your pagefile is small and you want to clear it automatically at shutdown then you should follow the tutorial:-

1. Type “regedit” in run or start menu and press enter.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\.
    3. Right-click on Memory Management and select New>DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    4. Name the DWORD value “ClearPageFileAtShutdown” (without qoutes). (Skip this if you already have the value.)
    5. Double-click on the DWORD value and type “1″ (without qoutes) in the value data box.

That’s it. Now restart your computer to see the changes.

You can also download the ready-made registry script for this:-

Download Registry Script

To disable it then simply delete the value or download this registry script and merge it.

NOTE: This tweak will decrease your shutdown speed dramatically. If your page file is less than 1 GB then the speed should be ok.
    Last edited by Kishan; 15th June 2009 at 14:18.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Cleaning the page-file on every shutdown means overwriting the data by zeros, and it takes time. This will increase shutdown time.

If you work on confidential documents, then you may want to have this setting 'on'. When you load such documents, they are loaded into RAM. To save RAM Windows places certain items in the pagefile. Hence you may want to delete pagefile at every shutdown, in such cases.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Cleaning the page-file on every shutdown means overwriting the data by zeros, and it takes time. This will increase shutdown time.

If you work on confidential documents, then you may want to have this setting 'on'. When you load such documents, they are loaded into RAM. To save RAM Windows places certain items in the pagefile. Hence you may want to delete pagefile at every shutdown, in such cases.
    I completely agree with what you say. I used to think this was a good ieda to do, but experience has made me see sense now and it is not a good idea to do it at all.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I used to think this was a good idea to do, but experience has made me see sense now and it is not a good idea to do it at all.
    Yup sounds like a good idea but sadly for home PC's this isn't the best tweak, If like me you have tweaked your page file size to cope with large files you could be waiting up to 15 mins before you computer actually shuts down.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

well there is no such requirement for home users to enable this tweak.......in my opinion there is no need to experiment with Page file....
    will it also effect the performance of system having less main memory like 512Mb or 1Gb?