Thread: How To: Map Remap Keyboard Buttons

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Default How To: Map Remap Keyboard Buttons

How about disabling DELETE key or the most often used SPACEBAR?

Sometimes before, I came to know how to remap keyboard, which would allow me to disable & interchange keys, without having to use any software, neither any special keyboard driver etc. I must tell you that this tutorial is making use of regedit it means if you don't know anything about regedit than first read the article Understanding/Backup & Restoring Regedit.

In Windows operating systems, PS/2-compatible scan codes provided by an input device (Keyboard, Joystick, Mouse etc) are converted into virtual keys, which are transferred through the system in the form of Windows messages. Windows 2000 and Windows XP include a new Scan Code Mapper, which provides a method that allows for mapping of scan codes. The scan code mappings for Windows are stored in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Keyboard Layout

NOTE: There is also a Keyboard Layouts key under the Control key, you should not mess up with that key.

To make you understand the concept I will first start from the basic that is disabling key, once you understand the concept you can disable any key or even interchange any key with another. Here I am disabling DELETE key.

Full Read at Source

karlberg74 is offline New Member

Thanks!

I was looking for something like this. Need to disable the Web key on my media keyboard.

Sreekant is offline New Member

nice thing !!

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Interesting stuff for geeks

Microsoft also itself provides a tool for creating or modifying keyboard layouts, - Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator ... if anyone is interested

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by estra View Post
    Interesting stuff for geeks

Microsoft also itself provides a tool for creating or modifying keyboard layouts, - Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator ... if anyone is interested
    Thanks for the link wasn't aware of this. Will try this out & prolly post how useful it is here.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

wow thanks for the link estra

tiotaco is offline New Member

can cap locks be remapped to @ key??

ratridash is offline Beginner

This tips is most essential when we have lose one of the key on keyboard. We can use this character with another unessential key and replace one by another