Thread: Capture a Screen Shot with the Snipping Tool in Windows

chukali is offline Beginner

Default Capture a Screen Shot with the Snipping Tool in Windows

Before Windows Vista, if you wanted a screen shot you had to use the less than intuitive method of pressing the print screen key and pasting the screen shot into a graphics program to add markup and save it. With Windows Vista & Windows 7, Microsoft has included a utility called the Snipping Tool to make capturing screen shots easier. Of course, there are many free screen capture tools for all versions of Windows if you have not upgraded to Windows Vista yet.

Note: The Sniping tool is not available in Windows Vista Home Basic Edition. It comes with Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate Editions.

Here’s How:

1. Click on the Start Menu and start typing “snipping” into the search box.
    2. Snipping Tool should show up in the Programs list above the search box, and you can click on it to start it.
    3. The Snipping Tool window will appear on your screen. You may move it to an edge of the screen so it’s not in your way, but it will also disappear when you start dragging a selection area.
    4. The Snipping Tool assumes you want to create a new clipping as soon as you open it. Your screen will dim, and you can click and drag your cursor to select an area to copy. As you drag, the selected area will be darker, and surrounded by a red border if you’ve never changed the Snipping Tool options.
    5. When you release the mouse button, the captured area will open in the Snipping Tool window. If you’re not happy with the selection and need to try again, click the “New” button.
    6. When you are happy with your clipping, press the second button to save the screen shot as an image file. See the tips below for file format suggestions.

Last edited by leofelix; 26th November 2009 at 14:45.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

A few months ago I wrote a little guide on the Snipping Tool which you find here: ( Tutorial: Snipping Tool handling How-To Geek Forums ). It eyplains some further how to make the settings, etc.. Maybe it's helpful.
    Another one I like a lot is FastStone Capture. The last free version you find here: ( A+ Freeware - Multimedia & Design - FastStone Capture 5.3 (last freeware version) ). The most current version goes for an OTC of $19.95.
    Last edited by whs; 15th October 2009 at 14:43.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice.

You can also add a hotkey to the snipping tool if you use it frequently.

True whs, FastStone is great and I have saved its last available free version.

Quote Originally Posted by chukali View Post
    * Edit post
    * Report this post
    One request, just dont directly copy paste from your site; no need for all this ...

... Editing.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Gadwin Printscreen utility is uncomparable

Max_Payne is offline Senior Member

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i think sangit and winsnap are the best screen capturing software.........I am using snag from last 1 year and I am very much satisfied with it..