Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macrium Reflect Tutorial - How to use the backup freeware

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default Macrium Reflect Tutorial - How to use the backup freeware

Tutorial: Image your system with free Macrium Reflect backup software for Windows.

Over the years I have experimented with different imaging programs. I started out with Norton Ghost which works very well, but is quite heavy handed. Backup and restore cycles are usually approximately one hour and it takes quite some time before you understand the intricacies of the product. I have also used Paragon and Acronis true Image. Both of those are in the same league as Ghost. They do provide though a large collection of function – which, I guess, is part of the reason why they are complex and slow.

One that is easy is the Maxtor One Touch Manager that comes with the Maxtor One Touch Disks. My wife loves it because once it is set up, all you have to do is push the button on the One Touch Disk and off it goes.
    Not quite the same but very easy is Macrium. Below you find the four steps to set it up and the one step to run it thereafter. You will notice that the handling of Macrium is as easy as can be.

There is also a paid version with more functions. But for the normal backup/restore, the free version is sufficient.
    I did not document the restore function, in part, because I cannot take any screenshots during that phase. But it is very simple and self explanatory. All you need to do is set your BIOS boot sequence to boot from your CD reader, put the CD in (the one you burnt – see the first picture) and off it goes. The CD loads a Linux based Wizard that will guide you thru a few simple questions.
    Performance when you take the image should be in the 10 minute range for an average system. Restore is about 20 minutes without prior image verification and twice as long with prior image verification

Watch this video tutorial to learn how to use Macrium.

To download the free Macrium, you go to this site: Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

Also read about Macrium Reflect Free Review here.

leofelix is offline Member

Thank you whs
    excellent tutorial,
    I started using Macrium Reflect free some weeks ago and I have to confirm that's a very good imaging backup software

I forgot to say : often images speak better than words
    Last edited by leofelix; 1st December 2009 at 00:19.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

A new version of Free Macrium Reflect has been released today:
    v4.2.2376 released 22nd January

whs

Thanks for pointing that out.

leonidas is offline New Member

Default Why not use what win 7 gives you?

Win 7 has its own disk imaging program and then asks if you want to burn a system repair cd.

Go to control panel, then back up and restore, then click on create a system image (on left hand side). Follow the instructions.

Have done this but not used the restore function yet.

Much cheaper and less hassle than any "imports"!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The latest Macrium Reflect Free version 5 was released a few days back.

japp is offline Gold Member

There's a new video for v5:

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    Win 7 has its own disk imaging program and then asks if you want to burn a system repair cd.

Go to control panel, then back up and restore, then click on create a system image (on left hand side). Follow the instructions.

Macrium Reflect is also "cheap", itīs FREE...

i havenīt used W7īs "own disk imaging program", so i donīt know how it works and which options there are, but i donīt burn any cdīs.
    i store my backups on my harddisk.

whs

W7īs "own disk imaging program" may be acceptable to users who do not want to get involved with system functions. The downside is that it works like a black box, you have quasi no options (e.g. multiple images, scheduling, etc.) and it is not always reliable.

For a more advanced user, I would recommend Macrium or Paragon. With those you know what you are doing and they are reliable. And PLEASE - do not put images on CDs or DVDs. You will have a hell of a time.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post

i just realized that you wrote CD...
    please tell me, how do you put a 8 GB image on a CD ?

it seems you have misunderstood the whole idea of disk imaging....

a "system repair cd" wonīt help if i need to reinstall a fresh system backup....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 5th October 2011 at 23:50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast