Thread: My Tips for keeping System Resources to a minimum in Windows 7

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Default My Tips for keeping System Resources to a minimum in Windows 7

I saw a thread on here asking how many resources did your pc use when idle and a couple had posted asking how people got their resources so low, so heres my tricks/tweaks/tips whatever you want to call them

My post on that thread I said my system was using 31 at idle and this is after having switched back to Windows 7 Premium x86 two days ago. I've finished tweaking and now have them down to 27 with physical memory as low as 513mb, which I proudly say is awesome hahahaha

So to begin I'll give my system specs so you have an understanding. Not everyone no matter what they do will get the same results, least in my experience noone does

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit (x86)
    Processor(s): AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-65 2.10 Ghz
    Memory: 3GB 2.75 Useable + 2GB SD Card Dedicated to Ready Boost
    Video: Onboard ATI Mobility Radeon HD3100

Click on Images to see Larger View of Screenshots

To start off when I set my systems up before I install anything other than Windows and drivers is go through and remove everything I know I'll never touch including turning off unnecessary Windows Features
    Start Menu/Control Panel/Programs and Features/ Turn Windows Features On and Off Now the following is what I have done with mine. Search the net there are millions of sites to show you what each is and if it might be useful or not to you

I personally turn off the transparent feature as well as other little eye candy stuff like animations in the taskbar, sliding comboxes, fading menu items... To each his own on this but for me their pointless.

Biggest for me is tweaking the System Services . Alot of info on tweaking them can be found as well as custom registry files on this site
    (I am also working on a Services Tweaking Application, so hopefully in a few days I'll have an application for folks to custom tweak their services)
    Keep your PC clean of junk. Don't keep unused applications. If you don't need the eyecandy get rid of the eyecandy. Don't try to make your system the Ultimate PC if you know it's not built for it. If none of this is clear just comment I am glad to help anyone needs it
    Last edited by LeeW; 19th January 2010 at 11:13.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I used to do a lot of tweaking & experimenting when on XP on Vista, but have hardly done anything on Windows 7.

I like my explorer windows to snap up and down and therefore only tweaked these and similar animations.

Would love to hear what performance tweaks, others here have carried out

rkonit is offline Gold Member

I need to increase the services and processes instead of reducing the load.... now IIS and Telnet installed on my Windows 7.

I can't survive without them.

nirman is offline Beginner

I am using Windows 7 Professional on 512 MB RAM and it is working fine without any service optimization and performance tweak.
    Total Processes:34
    Memory Usage:Between 65% to 85%

luffy is offline Windows Enthusiast

I did follow Black Viper's guide. Can only get as low as 49 on my HP DuoCore Vista 32bit.