DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip: SFC /scannow Repairs Windows Files the Easy Way

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default Tip: SFC /scannow Repairs Windows Files the Easy Way

SFC /scannow is a super-useful command you can use in any Windows version since Windows 2000. When the SFC (System File Checker) command is used with the /scannow switch, the tool will scan all of the important Windows files on your computer and replace them as necessary.

Missing and corrupt operating system files (like many DLL files) are arguably the biggest cause of major Windows issues. Considering that, plus the fact that SFC /scannnow is completely automatic and very easy to use, the tool should usually be one of your first troubleshooting steps.

Use SFC /scannow to Repair Protected Windows Files

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes, System File Checker is really a very useful tool.
    More here too: How to Run System File Checker & Interpret its logs in Windows 7 & Vista | The Windows Club

Btw, nice blog whs, didnt know you had one

azziz07 is offline Windows Enthusiast

thanks, so if sfc /scannow could not fix for some, group policy reasons then how to do the fix on windows vista

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by azziz07 View Post
    thanks, so if sfc /scannow could not fix for some, group policy reasons then how to do the fix on windows vista
    As a next step I would try this: Startup Repair.

eldergnome is offline New Member

When I ran sfc /scannow I found many files needing to be replaced. Problem was it asked for the xp sp3 disk. I upgraded to sp3 via windows update. Any thoughts, anyone?

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hello,

Download the ISO image from here Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File and burn it to a disk using The Official ImgBurn Website or just use SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive

Hope this helps,
    Captain

I appreciate the input Captain. I downloaded the ISO file and burned it to a CD. I ran sfc /scannow and when instructed I inserted the CD. The response was that this was the incorrect CD despite the CD opening as the xp sp3 update. The sfc /scannow repeatedly repeated this scenario, always asking for the CD. I cancelled the sfc scan and let the xp sp3 disk run its course. It did a file check of its own making sure files were original and I ran windows update to make sure I didn't lose any files in the process. All looks fine. I ran sfc /scannow again just to see if the error messages reappeared and they were numerous.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldergnome View Post
    When I ran sfc /scannow I found many files needing to be replaced. Problem was it asked for the xp sp3 disk. I upgraded to sp3 via windows update. Any thoughts, anyone?
    You need a Windows XP Service Pack 3 disc(Installation Media), you are using disc of SP3 that is installer of cumulative updates only.

Thanks for the input r.k, it is appreciated. Do you have any information on where to obtain the Windows XP Service Pack 3 disc(Installation Media)?
    Last edited by eldergnome; 30th September 2010 at 03:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast