DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Cannot disable or turn off Windows 7 startup sound

Dude111 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Cannot disable or turn off Windows 7 startup sound

On another site i am on we are trying to help a user disable the startup sound in imageres.dll .. HE IS UNABLE TO DO IT AND WE CANT SEEM TO HELP HIM..

I just cannot find the solution to this. I am on Win7 Home Premium x64. I am trying to disable the startup sound (not replace it with another sound).

In the sounds tab, there is no check on the "Play Windows Startup Sound". I have checked it; restart; unchecked; restart - no change.

I found some registry keys relating to this and changed the value. No difference.

I selected "No Sounds" the the Sounds Tab; reboot. No sounds played except for the Startup Sound.

The Startup Sound is located in imageres.dll. I used RegHacker to try to delete the the sound, but all my icons were gone on the reboot. Fixed that.

What am I missing? Maybe change the sound to a nothing in it Wave file?
    I figured this was the best place to ask..

Thanks guys

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Ask him to log in as admin.

I see that he is unable to do it via Control Panel > Sounds > Sounds tab > uncheck Windows startup sound for some reason.

Since he is using Home Premium, he would not have gpedit.msc, else one can do it as follows:

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Logon.

Select Enabled > Apply > OK.

So, ask him to edit his registry and see if it helps.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\BootAnimation\ and and change the value of DisableStartupSound from 0 to 1.

If it still doesn't help, ask him to Run System File Checker ( sfc /scannow ) and then try all the above once again.