DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is autorun.inf ??

bkr3 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Lightbulb What is autorun.inf ??

autorun.inf is the primary instruction file associated with the Autorun function. autorun.inf itself is a simple text-based configuration file that tells the operating system which executable to start, which icon to use, and which additional menu commands to make available. In other words, autorun.inf tells Windows how to deal open the presentation and treat the contents of the CD.

Autorun.inf file defines as below :
    • The process or application that will automatically run when a disk is inserted
    • Optionally, one can define the process or application that will run for specific Operating environments.
    • The icon that will represent your application's CD or DVD when the drive is viewed with My Computer or Explorer.
    • Menu commands displayed when the user right-clicks the CD-ROM icon from My Computer or Explorer.

A simple Autorun.inf example:
    [autorun]
    open=autorun.exe
    icon=autorun.ico
    autorun.inf - Is it a virus ?
    No, autorun.inf is a command script to process the Disk drives/ Flash Drives automatically when you inserted/connected to PC. But some hackers tuned it as virus. It's mostly spread out by Flash drives/Pen drives. When the Portable Media Connected to you system, it spreads easily & occupies on your System directories. The USB Autorun.inf Virus could be related to Virus.Win32.AutoRun.ah.

Source : What is autorun.inf ?
    Last edited by bkr3; 16th October 2010 at 06:01.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

bkr3 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanks for contributing and enhancing the Thread :-)

kunu is offline Windows Enthusiast

Nice information...........

it is useful but it can cause problem also
    as once while using windows XP this autorun file caused me problem. i.e. i was not able to switch to different directories or folders directly hitting open button ( but the option was to use windows explorer) and it also created empty folders in each parent folder.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Autorun Eater is a nice app to remove autorun.inf files.

Changes in AutoRun feature in Windows 7 | The Windows Club may also interest some!

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Thanks Balaji for sharing informative post !! n I w%d like to add something more...
    Autorun.inf is one of the file affected by most of viruses and we can prevent it.

Try Preventing or block and removing Autorun.inf Virus

Protection is better than cure.

kunu is offline Windows Enthusiast

thaks r.k for useful sharing

netrefugee is offline New Member

Nice information

Mr.K-Pro is offline New Member

Thank you for this information

jelson is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Thanks, good to know that MS has done this for Windows 7.

For XP and Vista, there are ways to prevent autorun.inf from running. Check out these articles:

Disable autorun.inf for XP and Vista

More info and a test of your autorun defenses

Interestingly, MS has published an article , KB953252, stating that "AutoRun features were not correctly disabled if you followed the previously published guidance", that is, this article, KB967715. However, it seems that's all the article says with no further advice or instructions.

I suspect the answer is that KB967715 was revised last on September 9, 2010 which is later than the date on KB953252: July 1, 2010. And I it does seem to me that there have been changes to the article since I visited a year ago to get the update.

A year ago, I didn't see the "Fix it for me" section with the Disable & Enable msi files: Microsoft Fix it 50471 & Microsoft Fix it 50475, respectively.

It says those wizard fix-its are for "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003,or Windows XP"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast