DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Remove or Change The Start Button Balloon Tool Tip in Windows

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default How To: Remove or Change The Start Button Balloon Tool Tip in Windows

This will permanently remove or change the Start Button "Start" balloon tip.

I'm using ResHack v3.5.2 Beta for this tutorial.

GoTo C:\Windows\en-US and Take Ownership of and then copy the explorer.exe.mui to somewhere safe.
    If you are running a 64 bit system you should also modify the explorer.exe.mui which is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US

To find all the copies: Goto Start Menu and do an extended search for explorer.exe.mui. You will find several copies, Take Ownership of each and modify the line. If you have no success with saving the files you will also need to Take Ownership of the containing folder. Added 2/22/11

Now open your explorer.exe.mui(s) in ResHack and navigate to String Table 34, line 533. Modify / delete to your liking.
    There is a limit of 79 characters if you modify the text.

Before:
    Code:
    STRINGTABLE
    LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
    {
    530,     "Unable to run command.\nThe folder '%1' has been removed."
    533,     "Start" << Line to modify or delete
    534,     "&Undo %s"
    535,     "Cascade"
    536,     "Show side by side"
    537,     "Minimize all"
    538,     "Show stacked"
    542,     "Hide"
    543,     "Show hidden icons"
    }
    After:
    Code:
    STRINGTABLE
    LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
    {
    530,     "Unable to run command.\nThe folder '%1' has been removed."
    534,     "&Undo %s"
    535,     "Cascade"
    536,     "Show side by side"
    537,     "Minimize all"
    538,     "Show stacked"
    542,     "Hide"
    543,     "Show hidden icons"
    }
    Once you have modified or deleted the 533 entry click the compile script button. Then in the menu bar click File and in its drop-down menu click Save. Close ResHack.

Now go to your original folder(s) again and rename your original explorer.exe.mui file(s) (explorer0ld.exe.mui ?) then copy and paste your modified explorer.exe.mui file(s) into place.

Goto Start Menu\Run and type/paste mcbuilder. Once the window closes Restart your computer. Added: 2/22/11

After a re-boot your start button balloon tip will have changed / disappeared.

Thanks to TWCF member Setedivent and Corey for additional information.

UPDATE: Start Button ToolTip Text Changer will allow you to change the tooltip text of your Start Button or Orb in Windows 7.

Last edited by HappyAndyK; 1st December 2011 at 17:04. Reason: Updated with new tool

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Sorry Elmer, I was not paying attention. Deleted the post.

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

No probs. I'd searched every site for this first and couldn't find one. Then I thought "How's he find that"!!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Another nice new tip - Thanks again Elmer!

HenryF is offline New Member

I have edited explorer.exe.mui exactly as described and confirmed that the edited copy is back in C:\Windows\en-US, but the start ballon still there after a restart.

vdl68 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by HenryF View Post
    I have edited explorer.exe.mui exactly as described and confirmed that the edited copy is back in C:\Windows\en-US, but the start ballon still there after a restart.
    You have to go to the Action tab and select Update All Resources.

bkr3 is offline Windows Enthusiast

cool tips i got, but there is no need to remove tool tips for me, if anyone like tips, Go Ahead on Elmer's tutor

setedivent is offline New Member

Elmer, thanks so much for the tut and for correctly pointing at the right version of ResHacker to edit MUI files, but... you should update your method with the following infos.

First of all, on a 64bit Windows 7 OS, there are copies of explorer.exe.mui not only in

C:\Windows\en-US
    and
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US

(of course the en-US folder being pretty much interchangeable with the localization ID of the language the OS is in, e.g. it-IT)

but also in

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-explorer.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385 _en-us_61e778c48d52d19b
    and
    C:\Windows\winsxs\wow64_microsoft-windows-explorer.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385 _en-us_6c3c2316c1b39396

(or something like that.
    winsxs is the components store folder,
    and, again, the en-us you see in the path is interchangeable with your localization ID string).

So, on a 64 bit OS you should also edit those files.

That said, after you have edited all those MUIs, you need update the MUI cache too.

This is the way:

- Run a command prompt as Administrator
    - Move to folder C:\Windows\System32 and type mcbuilder, then press ENTER
    - Wait for the operation to be completed, then restart the PC

HenryF check it out, you should now succeed.

setedivent is offline New Member

you're welcome ^^

ya, right, also the Run dialog is a choice.
    anyway, mcbuilder and restart are necessary, but i'd say also editing all the possible copies of explorer.exe.mui do is: i mean, i'm not sure whether applying a service pack (e.g. windows 7 sp1) leaves the tooltip modified or not, if you don't edit all the copies of the MUI file.
    what i know for sure is, after having applied the sp1 yesterday (with all the files edited) the modified tip is still there.

enjoy!

Last edited by setedivent; 24th February 2011 at 09:37.

Corey is offline New Member

Hello, 1st time here & having a little trouble w/this tip. I have 7 Pro 64Bit.

Do I need to edit explorer.exe.mui located in ALL 4 folders:
    1. C:\Windows\en-US
    2. C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US
    3. C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-explorer.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385 _en-us_61e778c48d52d19b
    4. C:\Windows\winsxs\wow64_microsoft-windows-explorer.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385 _en-us_6c3c2316c1b39396

Then save each one, run 'mcbuilder' & restart comfuser?
    Is there a character length we need to adhere to if modifying text instead of removing it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast