DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you know that in Windows ...

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default Did you know that in Windows ...

I am starting this thread so that members can share any small tips, findings, quirks you may have noticed in Windows.

I will start with a post by Cloudchase.

Did you know that in Windows 7, in Windows Explorer, if you highlight up to 15 files, it shows stats like number of files highlighted and the total filesize, but if you highlight 16 or more, it just displays a "show more details" link.

Interesting! Never really noticed it! :|

But tell me what happens when you click on Show more details! Post a screen shot it you can.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

When the system freezes and you cannot move the cursor, I used to hit the power-off button and then restart the system. The little trick is to press the Start button on the keyboard and navigate with the right arrow key to where the picture shows:

As you can see, there is always one letter underlined for the various actions in the pop-up window - e.g. "R" for Restart. Just hit that letter and the action will be performed.

satyamy is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    But tell me what happens when you click on Show more details! Post a screen shot it you can.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Nice Idea Anand. And from all the little shortcuts and tricks I know about Windows this is the only one that popped into my head:

To add a shortcut to your Libraries Folder on the Desktop easily:
    Open Explorer and Drag the Libraries Folder from the Navigation Pane to your Desktop. You will now have a shortcut to your Libraries Folder

whs

Since we talk about dragging shortcuts. If you drag the webpage icon from the IE address bar to the desktop, you get a shortcut of the website.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Since we talk about dragging shortcuts. If you drag the webpage icon from the IE address bar to the desktop, you get a shortcut of the website.
    LOL, As I have close to 600+ favs (don't ask!!!!), I now have folders I use to drag the shortcuts too. I really need to quit faving sites!

whs

Yeah, those favorites mushroom a lot. By today's count I have 1206. That is one reason I sometimes drag them to the desktop (for a short time) because in Favorites I often cannot find them back. Have to use search in the Fav folder.

whs

Toolbars is not a small quirk, but in my observation one of the most underated facilities of Windows. I see a lot of Windows7 newcomers wresteling to get Quick Launch back where the toolbars provide the same function plus a lot better structure. To help popurlarize Toolbars I have made this video tutorial.

If you go to this direct link, the quality is usually better than from the embedded screen - no idea why.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Did you try Master Control Panel shortcut and explore the all tasks aka God Mode

Windows 7 God Mode

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Default Copy from my earlier reply.

Copy from my earlier reply at :

I just discovered this in Windows 7:
    We know about Alt+Tab:Switch to next/previous focused window. If you add Ctrl and make it Ctrl+Alt+Tab, guess what?
    Its pretty nifty feature i love it. It locks the selection window pretty well.

BTW, did you know in the when in Alt+Tab, you can use mouse to quickly select the window you want?
    You can do the same in Win+Tab mode as well. Again if you use Ctrl+Win+Tab, it locks the window, so you can use mouse or keyboard to navigate to the windows there!
    Thank you Microsoft!
    BTW, I noticed this thing:
    Ctrl+Tab does show the open Sticky Notes, but Win+Tab won't!!!
    On the Sticky Notes, if you have several notes created, then Ctrl+Tab is switching from one to another.

Right click on a desktop gadget and its option there called opacity! Nice thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast