Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Registry Cleaner: Repair or destroy registry?

japp is offline Gold Member

Post Registry Cleaner: Repair or destroy registry?

I used UniBlue's RegistryBooster for a while untill I understood that it was the cause of loosing a shortcut and perhaps even the program belonging to it. I stopped using it immediately, especially since UniBlue didn't offer to try to fix their program.

Now Ashampoo is offering me Ashampoo® Registry Cleaner.

What are peoples experiences with registry cleaners?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hi japp,

I am bringing this thread to the notice of UniBlue right away!

Update: Mailed them.

Matrix is offline Senior Member

I use CCleaner once a month. But you can read the discussion here -> Is Registry Cleaner & Defragmenter useful? Or is it snake oil? | The Windows Club

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I have received an email from the company.

Please ask the user to contact our customer support team via email on - customer@unibluesupport.com. Our customer support team will be able to help him out with his problem.
    You may mention this thread and say you were asked to contact. Please let us know how it goes and share your experience here.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Hi japp,

I am bringing this thread to the notice of UniBlue right away!

Update: Mailed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    I use CCleaner once a month. But you can read the discussion here -> Is Registry Cleaner & Defragmenter useful? Or is it snake oil? | The Windows Club
    I've been using CCleaner for years just to easily get rid oif junk files. Think I used Registry Cleaner once or twice.

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    I have received an email from the company.

You may mention this thread and say you were asked to contact. Please let us know how it goes and share your experience here.
    Thanks

Odd they needed you to say this to you since they didn't mind my email about the problem. I'll re-send my email and see what happens and I will post the reply here.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Thanks for the reminder about Anand's article on reg cleaners and defrag programs. If anyone missed it the first time around, I definitely recommend you read it.

When I am helping people in the forums and see registry cleaners in their logs, this is what I generally respond, modified as appropriate to suit the occasion, frequently removing the section on CCleaner:

Windows is a closed source system. Developers of registry cleaners do not have the core code of Windows 7 and are not working on definitive information, but rather they are going on past knowledge and experience. Automatic cleaners will usually have to do some guesswork.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

Windows 7 is much more efficient at managing the registry than previous Windows versions. If you are very knowledgeable of the registry, you can use CCleaner to delete keys left over when uninstalling programs. However, these few keys will not make 1 millisecond's difference in performance. If you run CCleaner or any other registry cleaner and do not know precisely what you are doing, you will have problems down the road. There are no gains to be had from using a registry cleaner and the risk is great.

Forget all the "wisdom" you learned about XP. Windows 7 is not XP and does not manage the registry the same as XP.

Are registry cleaners necessary?
    Back up the registry

By the way, the malware writers have picked up on people's fascination with reg cleaners and defrag tools. From search results at Bleeping Computer:

Rogue registry cleaners: Spyware and Malware Removal Guides Search

Rogue defragment tools: Spyware and Malware Removal Guides Search

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Thanks for the reminder about Anand's article on reg cleaners and defrag programs. If anyone missed it the first time around, I definitely recommend you read it.

When I am helping people in the forums and see registry cleaners in their logs, this is what I generally respond, modified as appropriate to suit the occasion, frequently removing the section on CCleaner:

Windows is a closed source system. Developers of registry cleaners do not have the core code of Windows 7 and are not working on definitive information, but rather they are going on past knowledge and experience. Automatic cleaners will usually have to do some guesswork.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

Windows 7 is much more efficient at managing the registry than previous Windows versions. If you are very knowledgeable of the registry, you can use CCleaner to delete keys left over when uninstalling programs. However, these few keys will not make 1 millisecond's difference in performance. If you run CCleaner or any other registry cleaner and do not know precisely what you are doing, you will have problems down the road. There are no gains to be had from using a registry cleaner and the risk is great.

Forget all the "wisdom" you learned about XP. Windows 7 is not XP and does not manage the registry the same as XP.

Are registry cleaners necessary?
    Back up the registry

By the way, the malware writers have picked up on people's fascination with reg cleaners and defrag tools. From search results at Bleeping Computer:

Rogue registry cleaners: Spyware and Malware Removal Guides Search

Rogue defragment tools: Spyware and Malware Removal Guides Search
    I would be stupid to argue against you

Yes, ever since I started using W95 it has been talking about bloating registry slowing down the computer. I haven't really often been using registry cleaners. At times CCleaner's, but when Uniblue's one came my way it looked awful promising and safe to use. Now I know better, but it shall be interesting to see what they say when I gewt time to run it install and run it again and email them the debug. Yes, I've read that W7 handles the registry better than earlier versions. During my time I've often cleaned the registry manually to get rid of tracks after uninstalled programs.

Since Wise PC Engineer 6.3.3 came as Giveaway of the Day today, I decided to give it a try. At least it didn't remove what I know Uniblue's did remove. I'm using Acronis TrueImage so I created an image first

Scary about rogue programs, but so far I've been lucky - or wise - to avoid getting infected. As for defragger I'm using the free one IObit SmartDefrag.

Alfidai is offline New Member

Ashampoo R C is a strong tool I used it for cleaning my reg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast