DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Best free tools and software for Windows

lorkey04 is offline New Member
    4718 Hickory Heights Drive Columbia, MD 21045

Default Best free tools and software for Windows

Can you recommend some of the best free tools and Windows optimizers that I can use to optimize my windows pc? When I say free, I mean no monthly or annual fees ever.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

The only tool I realy use is CCleaner. To be honest there is no need for a host of performance utilities because Windows can actually look after itself. When it comes to registry cleaning my maxim is "If you don't know how to manually remove dormant registry entries, then leave well alone. CCleaner does have a registry cleaner, but, even though the cleaner is very selective on what it does and does not remove I am very reluctant to recommend that people use the registry cleaning option. As I have said, you really need to know what you are looking for when it comes to cleaning registry entries, and, contrary to popular belief, cleaning the registry doesn't always increase your PC's performance - good housekeeping does that!
    Last edited by J_B_MVP; 4th June 2011 at 14:05. Reason: spelling

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Windows 7 has a inbuilt Performance Tweaker Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\System and Security there you have Maintenance, Performance etc. options which is pretty good actually. Apart from that CCleaner is a good choice I agree with J_B_MVP registry cleaner portion is a bad idea stay away from it. It do more harm than good any good.

japp is offline Gold Member

I've added Temp File Cleaner, too removing more junk left over by CCleaner.
    Temp File Cleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads

Note: BitDefender Traffic Light flags the homepage of Software Development - addpcs.com as being risky. WOT has good reputations for the page.
    I've been there and used TFC and haven't noticed anything wrong.
    There's a temp cleaner by oldtimer I used in conjunction with CCleaner, but sadly it way to often crashes on me so I finally uninstalled it.

Agree 100% with J_B about registry cleaners. I learnt the hard way when my registry got all messed up.

Lots of goodies as Andy points to.