DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: .exe file association error in Windows 7

ShooterD is offline New Member

Default .exe file association error in Windows 7

I have 64bit windows 7 Ultimate. I have 2 problems that I am having. I selected to change what program internet explorer opened up with and I left selected "set program as default" and know every file that has an .exe file association will not run. Initially, I was trying to run the 32bit internet explorer by going to the folder c\programfiles86\internetexplorer, and choosing to run that ie because with i.e. 9 I was not able to play on my game site worldwinner.com. After upgrading to i.e. 9, worldwinner would not run due a flash player incompatibly, as well as when I clicked start, all programs, where there was supposed to be bot a 64bit i.e. and a 32 bit i.e. explorer icon right under the 64bit there was not. I have read that the i.e. in the x86 folder was the 32bit version. I tried running in from the folder it, as administartor and also making a short cut to it and pasting it to the desktop and tried to run it from there- that failed. So my bright idea was to try opening it up with a different program- I ] chose to open it up with the same program- c\programx86\initernet explorer\ie.exe, and left the add to default box checked.

Now, every file that had an .exe file extension, the icons has changed and no program will run. This precludes my anti-virus program from running. I downloaded a file extension clean up tool, but that won't run so anything I try to fix the problems I can't start. I tried downloading a windows extension fixer I found here, but it didn't list .exe files as an option. I went into the change current file configuration withen the control panel, but I do not know what file to choose as the correct default file opener for .exe, and since i.e., or any other .exe file won't run, I haven't been able to get online with that computer.

So I need help setting the default file asscotions to the correct entry, when I can not start and program and everything I have read to fix the problems depends on executing programs that I can not get started. And how to I accomplish getting the 32bit to run from my pc. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Dale

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

ShooterD is offline New Member

Andy,

Thanks for the quick response, unfortunately I had read and tried two of the threads and programs you suggested above. But I can not start any program on that computer at all. So I downloaded the programs, unzipped them on my laptop, transferred them via usb drive to the problem pc (I have to do this because I can't start any internet explorer apllication b/c I screwed up all the .exe file associated program starter), and tried to run the program and it won't work. I tried the command line (start run) way of starting them, double clicking, right click and opening, right click and run as admin option, and starting new task via the task manager. And with each option I try, it never runs any program and my system just hangs up, and the circle on my curser spins forever.

Within the change default program settings, what type of program do I associate with .exe files and .lnk files? What the default windows settings for those extensions? Just another reminder, at this time I can't start or execute any programs that start with a .exe extension. Thanks.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I have uploaded the .exe default association fix for you here. Unzip the .zip folder. Then right click on the .exe and 'Merge'.
    Last edited by whs; 13th January 2012 at 00:25.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Sorry, I forgot to mention this link: FIX: Unable to open EXE or LNK files in Windows 7 | The Windows Club

You can also download Microsoft Fix it 50194 from KB2656106.

Hope something helps you!