DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Arun Kumar
  • 1 Post By marketrue

Thread: Quick Access To Folders In Windows 7

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Lightbulb Quick Access To Folders In Windows 7

I have some folders that I use several times a day. Though I added them to Favorites in Windows Explorer, I don’t find it comfortable to click open Windows Explorer and then click the folder shortcut in Favorites. For some reasons, I find that opening Start menu and then clicking on Computer is smoother than navigating through Windows Explorer. I do not know why this feeling but it is there.

In case you did not know, you can add different folders and drives to Favorites in Windows Explorer. Since they are easily visible, you save time in navigation. To add a folder to Favorites, drag it to Favorites until the message “Add to Favorites” appears. Once you get the message, release the folder and you will get the link to that folder in Windows Explorer folder.

Actually I was trying to add certain folders to the right side of Start menu for quick access but it did not happen. I tried drag and drop method and also tried to change the properties of existing Libraries on Start menu – Pictures, Music and Documents – but none of them worked. In fact, I was at a point, able to add a folder to the right side of Start menu using a tweak:
    1. In Start menu properties, select Show Favorites
    2. Right click the Favorites folder and under properties, change the path currently pointing to your IE favorites to anywhere you want. For example, the default path could be something like C:\Users\Abc\Documents\Favorites. You need to change it to drive:\myfolder.

The problem with this method was that though I could open the folder I set up, it did not reflect the name of that folder. Instead, it just showed it as Favorites.

Another method I tried was to pin my folders to Windows Taskbar. In an article I wrote about organizing Files and folders in Windows 7, I pointed out that we can add a custom toolbar that gives you cascading style menu for any folder you want. But since I could not afford to give up space to custom toolbar, I removed it.

Simply pinning the folder to Taskbar did not happen because any pinned folder looked similar to Windows Explorer and I do not think there is any way in Windows 7 to change default icons. I added some folders to jump lists but the concept of right clicking Windows Explorer and then selecting the folders too did not appeal. I guess the inconvenience I felt using Jump lists was that I have to cross all the unnecessary folders it shows before I could reach and click the pinned folders.

Finally, I right clicked on the folders I wanted and selected SEND TO -> Desktop. Then I dragged those desktop shortcuts to Start menu and successfully pinned them there. That feels much better than using Jump lists.

Just my experience. If you have been using any better method for quick access to frequently used folders, please share?
    HappyAndyK likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Matrix is offline Senior Member

marketrue is offline New Member

Exclamation Sharing my methods for this

I've gone thru this before and came up with 3 methods for organizing your apps/data (see StartMenuProgamsAndDataOrganized post). One easy way to immediately get access to all your folders/items from your <user name> folder on down is as Follows:
    1. R-click Start Menu, choose properties
    2. Scroll down to "Personal Folder"
    3. Check "Display as menu" radio button
    4. OK both dialog boxes.
    5. Now you should see your User name with r-arrow in r-pane when you go to the Start Menu.
    6. Hover over or click your User name, all folders in your User Folder are displayed and can navigate to where you need to just by moving over folders and finally click on item to launch. Anywhere you navigate (including your User name in r-pane) you can r-click your highlighted folder, options display and very useful is "Open" which will open up folder in Windows Explorer. I use sometimes to keep a folder open for constant reference for adding shortcuts, creating new sub-folder(s) or re-organization.

In addition you can add more folders to your <user name> folder like "My Programs" where you can add shortcuts to items or folders w/shortcuts only (which is what Start Menu is). Then you can organize programs in a logical manner (office,utilities,drawing,imaging,etc.). And each of those can contain sub-folders w/shortcuts. Need to have shortcuts only for browsing pop-up to work.

Basically this is same with adding toolbar to taskbar, but I see you've tried it and clutters up your taskbar more than you like. I personally prefer this method and works in Win8 as well (non Metro UI, just a key press away - "Windows" key between Ctrl & Alt).

MarkETrue
    HappyAndyK likes this.

marketrue is offline New Member

Exclamation Some suggestions

Read my "StartMenuAndDataOrganized" post for 3 methods I've discovered. I'll put one here similiar to what your trying to do in r-pane. I prefer adding a toolbar to taskbar (r-click on taskbar to add and point to C:\Users\<your user name>). Here's my suggestion:
    1. R-click Start Menu, choose properties
    2. Scroll down to "Personal Folder"
    3. Check "Display as menu" radio button
    4. OK both dialog boxes.
    5. Now you should see your User name with r-arrow in r-pane when you go to the Start Menu.
    6. Hover over or click your User name, all folders in your User Folder are displayed and can navigate to where you need to just by moving over folders and finally click on item to launch. Anywhere you navigate (including your User name in r-pane) you can r-click your highlighted folder, options display and very useful is "Open" which will open up folder in Windows Explorer. I use sometimes to keep a folder open for constant reference for adding shortcuts, creating new sub-folder(s) or re-organization.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

There are some rather useful tips there marketrue! Thanks for posting.