Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By achz

Thread: How can I automatically skip this Windows 10 restart menu?

Sammuell is offline New Member

Question How can I automatically skip this Windows 10 restart menu?

Hi All,

When Windows 10 is restarted, or restarts after a BSOD, a menu selection is required before Windows restarts.

How can I automatically skip this Windows 10 restart menu, e.g. choose "continue to Windows" as a default, as was possible on Win 7 black screen?

Thanks

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Windows 10 is configured to show you these troubleshooting options after a failure. There is no way to bypass it, as far as I know. Windows 7 is much simple and for PCs unlike Windows 10 that has been designed to function across devices.
    BTW, do you experience it on every restart or only after a BSOD? Better option would be to work on the issue that causes a reboot.

achz is offline Beginner

Agree with Arun that it would be a better option to work on the issues causing Windows 10 to reboot, however unless I"m misunderstanding the question, what you want to do is actually possible with Windows 10.

You will need to open an elevated command prompt.

Press your Windows Key and type CMD
    Right-click the Command Prompt result and select "Run as administrator"
    In the DOS window that opens, type BCDEDIT /timeout 0

Note I don't recommend doing the above because you will no longer be able to access the options that menu provides you by default. In order to bypass the command and have those options displayed again, hold down your shift key down when in Windows 10 while clicking Power > Restart or run the above command again with a value of X seconds rather than zero.

To explore other bcdedit commands available to you, just type bcdedit /? "switchname" in a dos command window.

For example: bcdedit /? timeout to get a description of how the timeout switch works, or bcdedit /? default to get a description of how to select the default boot manager, which may be useful in your scenario if you have more than one bootable partition on your machine.

I hope that's helpful.

Regards, Andrew
    DeborahJ likes this.

achz is offline Beginner

Sorry, I should have also included this, though it should be pretty obvious.

To get a list of all switches available for use with the BCDEDIT command, simply type bcdedit /? in a dos command prompt and hit enter.

ayushishar is offline New Member

Is this working?