Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: C drive running out of space

  1. #1
    Pradeep Guest

    Default C drive running out of space

    Hi,

    As described in the subject line, i am facing a c drive running out of space
    problem. The following are the details related to the same:

    OS : Windows Vista Home Premium
    SP: Service Pack 1 Installed
    Total hard disk capacity: 100GB
    C Drive: 20 GB
    D Drive: 80 GB

    I thought it could be because of the program files folder that i am facing
    the issue but found that its size is 2.43GB. All the other folders are less
    but windows folder is taking the maximum share i.e. 14 GB. All the programs i
    have installed in the PC, i have taken enough care to specify their
    installation path to drive D. Still i am facing this problem.



    Drive C has about 60 GB free space. Is there any tool using which i could
    delete the partition so that i can get rid of this problem. Any other
    suggestions are also welcome.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Pradeep

  2. #2
    Nonny Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:25:00 -0700, Pradeep
    <Pradeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >As described in the subject line, i am facing a c drive running out of space
    >problem. The following are the details related to the same:
    >
    >OS : Windows Vista Home Premium
    >SP: Service Pack 1 Installed
    >Total hard disk capacity: 100GB
    >C Drive: 20 GB
    >D Drive: 80 GB
    >
    >I thought it could be because of the program files folder that i am facing
    >the issue but found that its size is 2.43GB. All the other folders are less
    >but windows folder is taking the maximum share i.e. 14 GB. All the programs i
    >have installed in the PC, i have taken enough care to specify their
    >installation path to drive D. Still i am facing this problem.
    >
    >Drive C has about 60 GB free space. Is there any tool using which i could
    >delete the partition so that i can get rid of this problem. Any other
    >suggestions are also welcome.


    You say your entire drive is 100GB, and C takes 20 of that and it's
    getting crowded.

    Then you say you have 60GB of free space on C.

    WHA??

  3. #3
    Pradeep Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space

    Iam sorry Nonny,

    I wanted to say that Drive D has 60 GB free space.

    Thanks,

    Pradeep


  4. #4
    Nonny Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:40:00 -0700, Pradeep
    <Pradeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Iam sorry Nonny,
    >
    >I wanted to say that Drive D has 60 GB free space.


    You have your programs installed on D, so deleting it would cause you
    huge problems... right?

    You need to shrink D and give the open space to C. You will need a
    third-party partition manager to do that. If you think you'll never
    need such a thing again, you will need one that you can use on a trial
    basis that comes with no limitations.

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/dow...generation.htm

    It USED to come with no limitations. I used the registered version
    looooooong ago. Check it out.

  5. #5
    DL Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space

    Use a third party application, eg Partition Magic to combine what was D to
    C, thereby removing the D partition.
    Your drive is too small to bother about partitioning

    "Pradeep" <Pradeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:9F688EA7-7CF4-4A37-BFEA-33A6E219CB6D@microsoft.com...
    > Iam sorry Nonny,
    >
    > I wanted to say that Drive D has 60 GB free space.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pradeep
    >




  6. #6
    Ken Blake, MVP Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:21:25 +0100, "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:

    > Use a third party application, eg Partition Magic to combine what was D to
    > C, thereby removing the D partition.



    If he simply does that, all his programs, which are installed on D:
    will fail to work, because they will be on C: and Windows expects to
    find them on D:

    He would also have to either try one of the programs that search out
    and try to change all those many references from D: to C:, or else
    uninstall, then reinstall the programs.

    My experience with programs that look for and change the references
    has been less than satisfactory, and I don't recommend them. The best
    way to do this is to uninstall and reinstall.

    His easiest course of action at this point, by far, would be to use a
    third-party program to make D: smaller and C: bigger. However, before
    using such a program and taking such a big step--either your way or
    mine--he should first be sure he has a current backup of anything he
    can't afford to lose. Although there's no reason to expect a problem,
    things *can* go wrong.

    By the way, Pradeep should note that programs should normally be
    installed on the same partition as \Windows. Although some people
    install them on a different partition because they think that they are
    protected there, and won't be lost if Windows ever has to be
    reinstalled, this is *not* correct. If Windows is reinstalled, all the
    many references to the program within it are lost. The programs (all
    except for an occasional small one) have to be reinstalled too.

    You can read my advice on partitioning in the article "Understanding
    Disk Partitioning" at
    http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326


    > Your drive is too small to bother about partitioning
    >
    > "Pradeep" <Pradeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:9F688EA7-7CF4-4A37-BFEA-33A6E219CB6D@microsoft.com...
    > > Iam sorry Nonny,
    > >
    > > I wanted to say that Drive D has 60 GB free space.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Pradeep
    > >

    >


    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  7. #7
    HappyAndyK's Avatar
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,530

    Default C drive running out of space

    First of all try to free up some disk space from your C Drive. Next you may have to see if you can Extend the C partition using Vista's Disk Management utility. You can not merge partitions in Vista with this Utility. Also note that you can extend only to the right; if you are desirous of extending the partition to the left, you may have to use a 3rd party utility, like Acronis.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Hi,

    As described in the subject line, i am facing a c drive running out of space
    problem. The following are the details related to the same:

    OS : Windows Vista Home Premium
    SP: Service Pack 1 Installed
    Total hard disk capacity: 100GB
    C Drive: 20 GB
    D Drive: 80 GB

    I thought it could be because of the program files folder that i am facing
    the issue but found that its size is 2.43GB. All the other folders are less
    but windows folder is taking the maximum share i.e. 14 GB. All the programs i
    have installed in the PC, i have taken enough care to specify their
    installation path to drive D. Still i am facing this problem.

    Drive C has about 60 GB free space. Is there any tool using which i could
    delete the partition so that i can get rid of this problem. Any other
    suggestions are also welcome.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Pradeep

  8. #8
    SCSIraidGURU Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space


    Disable system restore. Vista needs 40GB + RAM size. For me it was
    56GB, 40GB + 16GB for Paging.


    --
    SCSIraidGURU

    Michael A. McKenney
    'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    16GB DDR667
    SAS RAID
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card

  9. #9
    MilesAhead Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space


    How much Ram do you have installed? I have 2 GB Ram and don't run a
    swap file. The only time I got a "low memory" error msg was because I
    kept trying to play a bad video file and without realizing it I had 1/2
    dozen copies of VLC Media Player running.

    If you must use swap, move it to D:


    --
    MilesAhead

    "Why is half the world named after a guy I never heard of?"

  10. #10
    Ken Blake, MVP Guest

    Default Re: C drive running out of space

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:55:12 -0500, MilesAhead
    <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

    >
    > How much Ram do you have installed? I have 2 GB Ram and don't run a
    > swap file.



    It's called the "page" file in Windows XP. Turning it off is a very
    bad thing to do, regardless of how much RAM you have. That's for two
    reasons:

    1. If you don't have a page file, you can't use all the RAM you have.
    That's because Windows preallocates virtual memory in anticipation of
    a possible need for it, even though that allocated virtual memory may
    never be used. Without a page file, that allocation has to be made in
    real memory, thus tying up that memory and preventing it from being
    used for any purpose.

    2. There is never a benefit in not having a page file. If it isn't
    needed, it won't be used. Don't confuse allocated memory with used
    memory.



    > The only time I got a "low memory" error msg was because I
    > kept trying to play a bad video file and without realizing it I had 1/2
    > dozen copies of VLC Media Player running.
    >
    > If you must use swap, move it to D:




    Assuming that D: is a second partition, that's also bad advice.
    Putting the Page File on a second partition is not a good idea, and
    can hurt your performance. What it does is move the page file to a
    location on the hard drive distant from the other frequently-used data
    on the drive. The result is that every time Windows needs to use the
    page file, the time to get to it and back from it is increased.

    Putting the page file on a second *physical* drive is a good idea,
    since it decreases head movement, but not to a second partition on a
    single drive. A good rule of thumb is that the page file should be on
    the most-used partition of the least-used physical drive. For almost
    everyone with a single drive, that's C:.


    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22