Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

  1. #21
    Earle Horton Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

    1.2.2475.36837, "ATI CATALYST® Control Center is a Microsoft® .NET
    Framework-based application and uses DirectSkinTM OCX skinning technology
    from Stardock® Corp. Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.1433."

    Nothing interesting in the event logs.



    The Control Center takes forever to launch though. I assumed that this was
    because it was a .NET Framework application. I am using it on my Dell
    Inspiron 1501 to make an external monitor the main one when I have the
    machine docked on my desk. Is there a better way to do this?

    --
    Earle Horton -- earleh@terra.comx

    "Duane Hebert" <spoo@flarn.com> wrote in message
    news:eRopiwJKJHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >> It's a good thing that I don't know this, because I am not having any
    >> problems with it. Using it under XP though...

    >
    > Which version? Take a look at your event logs.




  2. #22
    admin Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?


    I've been running dual displays with ATI Radeon 2600XT with no problems
    in Vista.


    --
    admin
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    admin's Profile: http://www.lakerforums.com/forum/member.php?userid=1
    View this thread: http://www.lakerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18363
    Posted from www.lakerforums.com - SPAM filtered newsgroups in a regular forum

  3. #23
    Paul Montgomery Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:27:05 -0600, "Earle Horton" <earleh@terra.comx>
    wrote:

    >Using it under XP though...


    In case you missed the sign on the door: this is a VISTA group.

  4. #24
    Mike Hall - MVP Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

    "Duane Hebert" <spoo@flarn.com> wrote in message
    news:OKmgGwJKJHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
    > "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
    > news:uvGcFiJKJHA.5516@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
    >> "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:OxggvYJKJHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >>> Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Ok, did it and so far so good!
    >>>>> Thanks!
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> The ATI Catalyst Control Panel rates among the worst utilities ever,
    >>>> and has caused sporadic problems on and off since it first appeared..
    >>>
    >>> So, you're saying the fault lies with a 3rd party bit of software and
    >>> not Microsoft as the OP's statement "Please, stop the crap and do some
    >>> work to improve stability!" implied?
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> I am saying that the ATI Catalyst Control Panel rates among the worst
    >> utilities ever, and has caused sporadic problems on and off since it
    >> first appeared..

    >
    > I have had Win2k and now Xp installed on my box at home and in both
    > cases, I've removed the control panel. The
    > software is bad and the support is hideous.
    > I Don't have an ATI on my Linux box so I have no idea how well it works.
    > Is there a Catalyst Control Panel on Linux?



    As far as I am aware, no there isn't..


    --
    Mike Hall - MVP
    How to construct a good post..
    http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
    How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
    Mike's Window - My Blog..
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx





  5. #25
    VistaLava Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?


    this thread got my attention, describing the problems i have perfectly,
    but i have nVidia 8400M GS. I am using the latest HP driver, and my BIOS
    is up to date.


    --
    VistaLava

  6. #26
    RemyMaza Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

    On Oct 7, 7:48 pm, "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote:
    > "Duane Hebert" <s...@flarn.com> wrote in message
    >
    > news:OKmgGwJKJHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
    > >news:uvGcFiJKJHA.5516@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
    > >> "HeyBub" <hey...@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>news:OxggvYJKJHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > >>> Mike Hall - MVP wrote:

    >
    > >>>>> Ok, did it and so far so good!
    > >>>>> Thanks!

    >
    > >>>> The ATI Catalyst Control Panel rates among the worst utilities ever,
    > >>>> and has caused sporadic problems on and off since it first appeared...

    >
    > >>> So, you're saying the fault lies with a 3rd party bit of software and
    > >>> not Microsoft as the OP's statement "Please, stop the crap and do some
    > >>> work to improve stability!" implied?

    >
    > >> I am saying that the ATI Catalyst Control Panel rates among the worst
    > >> utilities ever, and has caused sporadic problems on and off since it
    > >> first appeared..

    >
    > > I have had Win2k and now Xp installed on my box at home and in both
    > > cases, I've removed the control panel. The
    > > software is bad and the support is hideous.
    > > I Don't have an ATI on my Linux box so I have no idea how well it works..
    > > Is there a Catalyst Control Panel on Linux?

    >
    > As far as I am aware, no there isn't..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall - MVP
    > How to construct a good post..http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
    > How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
    > Mike's Window - My Blog..http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    If you uninstall the Catalyst program, how do you enable crossfire if
    you have multiple GPU's? I'd like to get rid of Catalyst but am
    unsure of this...

    Regards,
    Matt

  7. #27
    Duane Hebert Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

    "RemyMaza" <RemyMaza@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:b91194f8-eca7-4850-9502-b07c493604ad@g25g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    On Oct 7, 7:48 pm, "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote:

    >If you uninstall the Catalyst program, how do you enable crossfire if
    >you have multiple GPU's? I'd like to get rid of Catalyst but am
    >unsure of this...



    I don't think that you can.

    The tech support at ATI suggests installing
    an older version of the program/driver as an alternative. Maybe that
    could help. As for the access violations etc reported in the event logs,
    they say that it shouldn't affect performance so maybe it's just my system
    that seems sluggish with this installed.


  8. #28
    MLD Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?


    "VistaLava" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    news:160295279120c860d48c70037aae945c@nntp-gateway.com...
    >
    > this thread got my attention, describing the problems i have perfectly,
    > but i have nVidia 8400M GS. I am using the latest HP driver, and my BIOS
    > is up to date.
    >
    >
    > --
    > VistaLava



    Have you looked into whether or not the latest version of Smart Panel (3.5)
    will resolve your problem? It did for me.
    MLD


  9. #29
    MLD Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

    OOPs, my comment was meant for those with the Epson Scanner problem--sorry
    for the error.
    MLD
    "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message news:gcia5f$9i9$1@aioe.org...
    >
    > "VistaLava" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
    > news:160295279120c860d48c70037aae945c@nntp-gateway.com...
    >>
    >> this thread got my attention, describing the problems i have perfectly,
    >> but i have nVidia 8400M GS. I am using the latest HP driver, and my BIOS
    >> is up to date.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> VistaLava

    >
    >
    > Have you looked into whether or not the latest version of Smart Panel
    > (3.5) will resolve your problem? It did for me.
    > MLD



  10. #30
    Steve Thackery Guest

    Default Re: Why Vista crashes so often when dual display is enabled?

    >> I should try to use dual display under Knoppix too, if this will be
    >> stable,
    >> then it is clear, that Windows system is faulty.

    >
    >
    > I run dual displays under Vista with no problem at all, as do many others.
    > Remove the Catalyst Control Panel..


    Don't waste your breath, Mike. The OP is obviously *desperate* to blame
    Vista. Let's hope he gives up on it and gets Linux instead. Give us all
    some peace.

    SteveT


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22