DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Links / Webpages don't load when I click on links in IE

fredharvey is offline Beginner

Default Links / Webpages don't load when I click on links in IE

Hi ... I'm using IE 7 which I like to use. For some reason now when I see a link or a webpage whether it be someone post or even from a webpage and it has a link to view another webpage it wont load . It did before, but now when ever I click on something it doesn't load. I'm using Vista SP1 Ultimate and everything is up to date.

Any idea what might be the cause ?

Thanks.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

First I suggest you clear your cache and try again. Best to use freeware CCleaner to automate and do the cleaning job. Reboot and try again.

Else I suggest you scan your computer with your anti virus and anti-spyware, as it is quite possible that it could be a malware wanting to prevent opening of a particular site/s.

Else, Internet Options from the Tools tab of IE7. In Security click 'Reset all zones to default level'. Click Ok. Restart IE and try.

Or else, 'Reset Internet Explorer Settings'. Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Click Reset > Close >OK. Restart IE.

If it doesnt help, pls revert, with a specefic example.

Thanks for responding . Yep, I have done all that , system clean , setting set to default .

I'm talking about for instance if anyone including myself was to place a link like here below , I can't open this webpage by clicking on it .

www.microsoft.com

Though any links or website in " Windows Mail " works just fine , just not in IE7 . Also if I remove the check mark " enable protected mode " under Internet Options >>> Security tab for Internet it will work
    Last edited by fredharvey; 20th November 2008 at 18:31.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Can you try the no add-on IE and check whether it's working fine there or no?

You can get that:

All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools IE (No add-ons)

Also, can you define 'not opening' as in is it giving a time-out or when you click nothing happens at all?

Hi ... Gave that a try to iMav and it didn't work . When I say not loading ? I mean nothing happen , but if I right click on the link and select " Save Target As " it will download the page afterwards it will give the option to select Open which it will that way load . It will not load or open when I try just by clicking on webpage / link .

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by fredharvey View Post
    if I remove the check mark " enable protected mode " under Internet Options >>> Security tab for Internet it will work
    Well, I've come across some people facing different issues whose solution is to disable IE7's protected mode.

Do you have UAC enabled or disabled? If UAC is disabled, the Protected mode is disabled by default. So what i can suggest is to, uncheck the protected mode & restart IE.

Thanks for all the help guys . I end up doing a system backup image restore with Acronis True Image which I'm back to normal now .

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Good to see Acronis helped you.

Should anyone else face this issue in future, here are more things to try:

Try to re-register
    urlmon.dll
    and see if it helps.

If it doesnt, also try and see if re-registering the following helps.

Shdocvw.dll
    actxprxy.dll
    oleaut32.dll
    browseui.dll
    shell32.dll

How to Register or Unregister dll's in Windows Vista may be of more help.