DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Query regarding Readyboost

anandn_mvp is offline Microsoft MVP

Default Query regarding Readyboost

Hi,

I've currently installed Vista Ultimate under 512 MB of RAM. The performance is adequately good but I would like to increase the speed.

I am planning to improve performance with Readyboost. Will it really boost performance of Vista?

Regards,
    Anand Narayanaswamy
    Microsoft MVP
    www.visualanand.net

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Well,at least someone using this feature. You know,when I used my Kingston 2GB data traveler with for ready boost, I didn't notice significant improvement in copy, move, boot process. The only thing I noticed was fast program and other Windows launching.

In my opinion you better bring 1GB of RAM (just for 1k or so) and get the actual boost.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Not really anandn ... I'd suggest adding extra RAM instead.

Mikey is offline Beginner

I would definitely suggest buying some new ram but more than 1GB. Vista works the best even with the 32 bit version at 2GB. Nice and smooth for me running a dual core processor. Now I also use the Readyboost feature also, but I use an 8GB stick and I notice a substantial increase in boot time.

cnpoet is offline New Member

Readyboost ?
    Just a joking!
    Update RAM to or over 1G will be fine.Currently 2G is enough.No more is needed.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Buying more RAM is definitely your best option. Go to the Crucial website ( Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com ), scan your system and they will tell you what your options are and what it costs. Crucial is a highly rated company with adorable prices.
    Ready boost will be some help. I would recommend trying that if you happen to have a fast USB flash drive. What it does is spread your paging file over your RAM and the flash drive for faster access. For your configuration a 1GB drive should suffice. But check in Task Manager > Performance tab what the size of your pagefile is (it is the rightmost number on the bottom right). If your RAM+your flash drive can cover this size, then you have a correct setup. For more details and understanding read this: Ask the Performance Team : Windows Vista - SuperFetch & ReadyBoost

Hari Maurya is offline Senior Member

As everyone suggest....it will be better to buy new Ram of 1 gb or more instead of using Ready boost