DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows Defender updating without my permission

Roberto is offline Beginner

Question Windows Defender updating without my permission

I noticed that my windows defender is updating without my consent, even though I have my windows update settings saying that windows will only notify of updates but not install or download any of them. I know there are some update agents that windows updates even though I have this settings but windows defender never does this, and now it is doing it. My question is how do I stop windows defender or windows update downloading and installing updates automatically.

Note: I was not notified that windows defender was updates I simply with no reason checked the update history and found out that on the 12 of December and on the 16 of December, windows defender had been updated and I wasn't even notified. If anyone has this problem or knows the solution please answer this!!

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Type services in start menu search box and hit enter.Now,disable Windows update service.I hope this will fix your problem.

I then just stop it for ever or do I restart it??

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

You have disabled means fro ever.If you choose Stop service option Windows Update service will restart at the next boot.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Dont disable WU service for the moment.

Inspite of having your WU settings as : only notify of updates but not install or download any of them, is only Windows Defender downloading and installing the updates without notifying you or are ALL windows updates being installed this way?

Only windows defender for now, the last major updates which were on the 9 of December it notified me but the windows defender updates it didn't notify me, it just downloaded and installed them without any warning

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Strange .... In Defender, under Options > Automatic Scanning > uncheck 'check for updated scanning before scanning' and see if it helps. Dont forget to click on Save.

I've already thought about doing that, maybe that's why it is updating without me knowing.

cnpoet is offline New Member

Heard about this situation first time.It's abnormal.
    following up...

I didn't do anything with windows defender but I'm quite sure that was the reason it was updating without me knowing