DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Service Pack 1 Causing Computer to "Go Dead" in sleep mode

LostInVista is offline New Member

Default Service Pack 1 Causing Computer to "Go Dead" in sleep mode

Hi - newb here. Apologies if this has been covered - I'll take any link help I can get...

Details: I have a Vista Home Premium on a 32 bit system. It's an HP with AMD 64X2 Dual core processors, 2 Gb RAM and lots of disk space. It's about 14 months old. I'm no computer whiz and we use it mainly for pics, videos and email.

SP 1 tried several times to upload on the regular Windows Updates but it finally was successful on Dec 7. Since then, when you leave the computer alone, it goes into sleep mode. The monitor goes dark but the power light stays blue - indicating that it's running. If it goes into full sleep mode it goes amber.

Once it gets in that mode, you can't "wake it up" in any other method than power cycling it. On the first try you get BSOD with Kernel Data Inpage Error (there was one other Kernel something error one time) ...

Stop message is 0x0000007A then four others in parentheses.

I have then re-power cycled and when it comes to a black & white screen asking if I want to delete restoration files & continue, I say yes and the thing then reboots and we're good until the whole process starts again.

I wrote MS and their idea is below - please tell me what you think....

Based on the current information, this issue can be related to the BCD file. At this point, letís perform the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Click "Start", type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box. Right-click CMD listed above and click "Run as administrator".

2. Run the following command: bcdedit -enum all

3. Locate "Resume from Hibernate" in the output from the command above (example below):

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

identifier {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963}

device partition=C:

path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe

description Windows Vista (TM) Enterprise (recovered)

inherit {resumeloadersettings}

filedevice partition=C:

filepath \hiberfil.sys

pae Yes

debugoptionenabled No

3. Once you have found it, copy the value for identifier (in this example - {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963})

4. Run the following command: bcdedit /deletevalue {3d8d3081-33ac-11dc-9a41-806e6f6e6963} inherit

5. Please restart the computer and test hibernation.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    This all sounded really in-depth. Should we just UN-install SP1 and maybe re-install?

Thanks for anyone's help. Much obliged.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

This sounds completely logical and very easy. I would try this first. There are a few little details they forgot to tell you about Command Prompt assuming that you are a "normal" user and not a Geek that uses Cmd every day:
    1. After you typed a command you have to hit ENTER
    2. To Copy something from command prompt, just highlight it - it will be automatically stored in the clipboard
    3. Likewise, if you want to Paste something, just right click at the place you want to paste. Whatever is in the clipboard will be pasted.
    4. The command is always followed by a blank - e.g. in "bcdedit /deletevalue" there is a blank in front of the slash. Cmd is not very forgiving when you don't put the blank.
    With this in mind, I suggest you try their method. What can you loose. Just be aware that the value inside the curly brackets in their example is just an example and you will have a different value.
    Here is a picture of mine - just to give you a "warm feeling". My blue background is "custom" - yours will be black.

PS: Just found some "Literature" on the matter: http://www.ehow.com/how_2326254_func...tallation.html
    Last edited by whs; 21st December 2008 at 04:47.

I will try this tonight!

Thanks a ton!

whs

No problem. Let me know how you made out. Between my few explanations and the very approriate guidance on the link, I am sure you'll make it.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Things not going too well. Microsoft also suggested the steps you all have shown me. Problem still occurring. So we went over devices and drivers and chkdsk and nothing so far. Still happening. Thought it was an Nvidia driver but nothing.

It has to be something right in front of us.

The symptoms again in order:

Hit sleep button - monitor goes to sleep - blue light turns amber for sleep.

PC (desktop) light goes from blue to amber.

Keyboard has one light - flashes all 3 lights and goes dark.

Then I hear the hard drive stop spinning.

Let it rest for any amount of time.

Shake the mouse or tap the keyboard and the PC light goes back blue.... BUT ... no response on mouse, keyboard or monitor. Monitor light stays amber. Then you have to power it off and the reboot gives you BSOD - then you power it off again and it asks you about deleting restoration data - say yes - and it reboots as normal.

Taking thoughts. Microsoft has tried but with no success. I'd really like to un-install this thing but there's no restore point there. Ugh.

whs

Restore points don't help you in this instance. The problem is too old - valid restore points do probably no more exist unless you have a huge shadowstorage. Your next option is to reinstall. But for the future, you should be better prepared. Look into Ghosting (imaging) options. I have written a little guideline, that you can download from here ( Ghosting tutorial.pdf - Windows Live ). It is a .pdf file. If you have any questions - also regarding the reinstallation, let me know.