DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Scheduling weekly backups ?

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

Default Scheduling weekly backups ?

along with FF, i use FEBE which is a backup add on..would you say, running a weekly backup of system is wise? or monthly would be ok? i havent tried any backup programs associated with vista yet. only this particular add on for firefox.

mintywhite is offline Banned

Don't wanna dig up too old of a post, but to answer the question: yes, the more frequnetly you back up your data, the better. It is best to do an incremental backup (where only new stuff is added.)

This way, you are using the same (or slightly more depending on the number of times you change files) amount of bandwidth and processing to protect your data. If you lose all your data, you will likely have a more recent version to roll back to.

I backup my critical data to Mozy's servers three times a day.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

i forgot to have this thread closed sorry bro..ive got this problem already sorted out. thx though

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

Finally got my external HD back from WD, and looking to make a full back-up of my trouble-maker laptop incase it goes out on me again. I've downloaded Macrium for the job and created the boot CD. But my first of possibly many questions is, does the file format of my external HD (Fat32) need to match the NTFS of my C: that I'm creating an image of?
    From what I understand, it doesn't matter what the format is, just looking to make sure beforehand.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I think you need NTFS because of the size of the records. FAT32 supports only 4GB-1 as maximum.

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

@whs: Thank ya!! Converted to NTFS and created the image. Just hope I won't have to use it. (fingers crossed)

Since I don't plan on using Macrium for any other means other than this image that I'll restore later should I need a clean install. Would moving Macrium to the external HD be a good idea so I'll already have it to restore the image or is the program not needed to do this?

I'll double check, but I believe the image has an XML extension.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I am not too familiar with the details of Macrium because I use Norton Ghost, but I assume it is similar. In case you have to restore an image, you have 2 cases:

1. When your system is still working - In this case you do the recovery from the Macrium program on your C:
    2. Your Vista is defunct or you had to swap the HDD disk - In that case you start the recovery from the recovery DVD (you have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS for that). In both cases it will pull in the image (the one you choose if you have several) from your external disk.

You cannot run Macrium from the external disk. It cannot run all by itself, it needs an operating system - either Vista on your system or the Linux that is on the recovery disk to run it.
    Last edited by whs; 3rd February 2009 at 07:27.