DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: can i store files on portable flash drive permanently?

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

Default can i store files on portable flash drive permanently?

ice received a late gift, an 8GB flash drive. was wondering, can i store some files on it permanently? ive got this batch of saved files of icons from wincustomize site.. would be nice to store em, and delete the original files and freeup space...i tested it out, i was able to access files normally.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Of course you can. Flash drives are made for that. I keep many files on flash drives. Just got a 16GB drive to move my files around between my different locations. Just plug it in and use it like your disk. If you want to move e.g. Pictures or Documents or Music permanently to the flash drive, let me know. I will tell you how to setup the Start menu so it opens those on the flash drive rather than looking for them on the OS disk.

woot thx whs

whs

Could you tell me once what you mean by "woot"? I found this in Wikipedea, ( Woot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), but that can't be it.

this short explination should satisfy your curiousity lol

Quote Originally Posted by WikiPedia
    A leetspeak expression of joy or triumph, originating within the online gaming community and chosen as the 2007 Word of the Year in a poll taken by Merriam-Webster's Web site. Similar in use to the word "hooray"
    whats leet you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Answers.com
    The substitution of numeric digits or special characters for alphabetic letters; for example, "1337 5p34k" spells "leet speak." A form of geek Pig Latin, leetspeak is used just for fun as well as to conceal real words to fool spam filters and other text scanning systems.
    Not the Same as Geekspeak
    Coined from "elite speak," leetspeak is not the same as "geekspeak," "nerdspeak" or "AOL speak," which are terms that refer to acronyms, such as IMHO for "in my humble opinion." In true leetspeak, each letter is substituted with the numeric digit that looks most like it, such as a "3" for "E" and a "4" for "A." However, creativity always abounds in the hacker community, which results in "d00d" standing for "dude" to emphasize the "oo" sound.

oh by the way..how can i delete files i moved over to the flash drive
    Last edited by v3loc1ty; 29th December 2008 at 21:09. Reason: 1

whs

Interesting explanation for "Woot"
    Delting files on the flash drive works exactly the same as deleting any file on the disk. Just right click on the file and say "delete". It will, however, not end up in your recycle bin but disappear instantly.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

LOL, woot is a sign of excitement. Even I referred the Wiki and some sources to get the exact meaning

Woot !

whs

Just one additional tip for moving and copying files. Get "Move to../Copy to.." into your right click menu. It is so much easier to deal with the files that way. Get the download from here ( Add Copy To / Move To on Windows Vista Right-Click Menu :: the How-To Geek ).

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

^ .... or simply use Ultimate Windows Tweaker to apply the tweak