Thread: Search failed to initialize. This file does not have a program associated with it

IPwnNoobs is offline New Member

Default Search failed to initialize. This file does not have a program associated with it

Iv recently been getting this message when trying to use the start menu search bar to open files, Ill use msconfig as an example.

search:query=msconfig
    This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel.

Iv used this search bar many times before with no issues. I have opened my msconfig with the command prompt so I'm sure its not a problem with my msconfig. I have just installed Vista Service Pack 1 I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?.

On top of this when ever i try to just search using the start menu search bar i get 'Search failed to initialize' show up in the field were it would usually show the files relating to my search. Iv opened the indexing options in the control panel and used the rebuild and restore defaults options but this did not change anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Here are some things you can try :

Type services.msc in run dialog box and hit enter(Use Windows + R to open Run dialog box). Scroll down to the 'Windows Search Service', and ensure that it is set on Automatic and Running. Restart this Service. You will also have to ensure that RPC (Remote Procedure Call) is running and set on automatic.

Then, open Control Panel and click on System And Maintenance. Select Indexing Options, and click on the 'Advanced' button. From the box which pops up, first click on 'Restore Defaults' and then click on 'Rebuild' (Index). Click OK. Also click Allow / OK to any UAC prompts. Reboot.

If this doesn't help or if you find that your Advanced Button is grayed out and /or you get a message : Waiting to receive indexing status, chances are that your Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows Search or some concerned key must have been corrupted.

In such an eventuality, you should try a System Restore. If still it doesn't work - Boot from your Vista DVD > Select System Recovery Option > Select Repair Computer > Choose your installation of Windows > Select 'Startup Repair' > Follow the instructions.

This solution was actually given by HappyandyK on some other forum.So credit goes to HappyandyK
    Last edited by tweakwindows; 7th January 2009 at 14:00.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

IPwnNoobs is offline New Member

Nope no luck on any of those things. I have no idea what could have caused this... Everything that has to do with my search was already correctly configured.

aleangelic is offline New Member

Default Solution for "search this file does not have a program associated "

Quote Originally Posted by IPwnNoobs View Post
    Nope no luck on any of those things. I have no idea what could have caused this... Everything that has to do with my search was already correctly configured.
    I had the same problema, apparently this have something to do with SP1
    Anyway, here is the solution:

Fix Search association settings in Vista - The Winhelponline Blog

I had this problem for a while already and just fixed, there is not much information about this issue, but this solved it.

Regards
    Alex

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Start >> Default Programs
    and Set Default Search program....

It may help you.