DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Winsxs bloated with obsolete files?

Mike123 is offline New Member

Default Winsxs bloated with obsolete files?

I have read up extensively on the "winsxs bloating" problem in Vista and was wondering if the "AMD" files can be deleted since I am running an Intel CPU? Also, is there a company that has a program that will go through and find the outdated/obsolete/superceded/useless left over files from installs, updates, and service packs so I can free up 6 or 7 Gigabytes without taking a single performance or compatibility hit anywhere on my system?

Microsoft strikes me as VERY CHEAP since it was completely aware of the winsxs bloat problem and didn't create a system to track the files that enter it so they could be automatically or manually deleted when they transition to being useless crap that will never serve any function other than taking up space and slowing down backups, virus scans, and registry scans. Are they working for the government now?

iMav is offline Gold Member

Well you can clean the SP 1 backup after installation by:

open a command prompt (Cmd) or simply press “Winkey + R” keyboard shortcut. Then enter the following command:

Vsp1cln.exe

As far as the SxS folder is concerned: The Secret Of Vista's Winsxs Folder.

I saw somewhere that that may have adverse consequences so, for now, I'm going to wait a little while longer to try and verify it's OK but will probably end up just doing a shadow copy and then trying it out and seeing if everything still works afterwards. I really want to find out about those AMD folders and files because that looks like it is about 50% - 60% of the whole winsxs folder and if they don't function with an Intel processor then they are getting deleted and hopefully will not get repopulated with some cabinet file somewhere. It takes an extra 3 hours on a registry scan because of those files alone.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

My reco : Dont touch the winsxs folder. And do read my article posted by iMav above.

Which registry scan takes 3 hrs ? I'm curious now. CCleaner or Tune Up or Ace takes few minutes. Is it Registry Mechanic ?

Registry Repair Pro Version 4.0.0.0. It actually takes about 4 hours and 3 to 3 1/2 are spent on the AMD files in the winsxs folder. The same program (and same version) takes about 10 minutes on XP. I did read your article (a few times) but it doesn't go into specific enough detail for the different file types. I want to know if the AMD files serve any purpose on an Intel-based system and, if not, how do I get rid of them. If they are for AMD processors only, why are they even there to begin with? Why are they allowed to even be populated and not in a single compressed cabinet file?
    Last edited by Mike123; 11th January 2009 at 03:38.

OK, I was looking through the winsxs folder using disktective and found that I have 6 duplicate copies of most folders and I've never installed anything more than twice. What's up with that???

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    My reco : Dont touch the winsxs folder. And do read my article posted by iMav above.

Which registry scan takes 3 hrs ? I'm curious now. CCleaner or Tune Up or Ace takes few minutes. Is it Registry Mechanic ?
    I use Glary and that only take moments as well. I think we'd all agree that you change your reg cleaner to something other, also if you use Glary if will find duplicate folders

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
    OK, I was looking through the winsxs folder using disktective and found that I have 6 duplicate copies of most folders and I've never installed anything more than twice. What's up with that???
    I know ! Winsxs has a lot of such. MS has gone overboard here, carrying the "just in case they are required" principle a bit too far !