DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Can't Find Internet Websites Visited in Temp. Internet Files

may
    may is offline New Member

Angry Can't Find Internet Websites Visited in Temp. Internet Files

Help. Can't find internet websites visited, html documents in internet options browsing history, view temporary internet files

Where are they in Vista?
    I have show hidden files, checked (in folder options); empty temp. files when finished browsing is unchecked (in internet options, advanced)
    And have also tried typing in the following, C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    Per instructions from this Win Vista Club on how to access temp. internet files content

I am aware I can find history at favorites but this is not what I want.

Just don't get it, why is it hidden? and why can't I access it per everything that says I should be able to access it? by following the above attempts

Does anyone know of what will actually allow me to access it or find it?
    Would very much appreciate it.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Have u enabled clear private data as in firefox so every time u close internet explorer all your cookies and history also gets deleted.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

To mitigate against internet threats, IE 7 in Vista runs in Protected Mode. And the Cache is now considered as a virtual folder with the same low privilege as that of the Internet Explorer process itself.

Pls read The Temporary Internet Files Folder In Vista and if you still have questions we'd be happy to help

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    To mitigate against internet threats, IE 7 in Vista runs in Protected Mode. And the Cache is now considered as a virtual folder with the same low privilege as that of the Internet Explorer process itself.

Pls read The Temporary Internet Files Folder In Vista and if you still have questions we'd be happy to help
    Hi Andy just a quick question what happens when you turn Protected Mode off? Not that I am suggesting that anyone does this

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ When you use Protected Mode, you reduce the ability of the attacker to write or alter data on your computer or to install malicious code or add-ons or undesirable toolbars. When you turn off Protected Mode, you thus, in short, expose yourself to attacks which occur while running IE. This is because the attacker will now be able to write into protected folders and also modify imp registry areas like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

All files and registry keys on Windows Vista have a default integrity level of Medium. Some have High while others have Low. IE is a Low integrity process, when run in Protected Mode. It will thus receive 'access denied' errors when it tries to modify important files.

If UAC is disabled, Protected Mode is turned OFF because 'UI Privilege Isolation' gets turned off too. So you cant have UAC turned off and Protected Mode turned on. Protected Mode is also turned off when you rt click IE icon and Run it as administrator.

Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer will give you a better understanding.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

If UAC is disabled, Protected Mode is turned OFF because 'UI Privilege Isolation' gets turned off too. So you cant have UAC turned off and Protected Mode turned on. Protected Mode is also turned off when you rt click IE icon and Run it as administrator..
    thanks andy this was new to me .. i always disable UAC when i tried protected on it would never happen thanks for clearing my doubt...keep sharing i ll learn too..

seti is offline Member

^ When you use Protected Mode, you reduce the ability of the attacker to write or alter data on your computer or to install malicious code or add-ons or undesirable toolbars. When you turn off Protected Mode, you thus, in short, expose yourself to attacks which occur while running IE. This is because the attacker will now be able to write into protected folders and also modify imp registry areas like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

All files and registry keys on Windows Vista have a default integrity level of Medium. Some have High while others have Low. IE is a Low integrity process, when run in Protected Mode. It will thus receive 'access denied' errors when it tries to modify important files.

If UAC is disabled, Protected Mode is turned OFF because 'UI Privilege Isolation' gets turned off too. So you cant have UAC turned off and Protected Mode turned on. Protected Mode is also turned off when you rt click IE icon and Run it as administrator.

Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer will give you a better understanding.
    Thanks Andy for your answer very interesting

may
    may is offline New Member

Default Reply to post, "Can't find Websites visited in Temp. Internet Files

This thread is actually in response to a thread I started the other week, "Can't Find Websites in Temp. Internet Files"
    However I have not been able to reply to the thread, so I am posting my reply here. Here is my original thread, question.

Help. Can't find internet websites visited, html documents in internet options browsing history, view temporary internet files

Where are they in Vista?
    I have show hidden files, checked (in folder options); empty temp. files when finished browsing is unchecked (in internet options, advanced)
    And have also tried typing in the following, C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    Per instructions from this Win Vista Club on how to access temp. internet files content

I am aware I can find history at favorites but this is not what I want.

Just don't get it, why is it hidden? and why can't I access it per everything that says I should be able to access it? by following the above attempts

Does anyone know of what will actually allow me to access it or find it?
    Would very much appreciate it.

This is my reply:

Thanks for responding to my question Happy Andy and others, however guys I am not really computer savy. I really don't understand what you are saying here. I have read the links you recommended, but sorry it's over my head.
    So are you basically saying Windows Vista is not like Windows XP? With XP you could access browsing history in internet options. It would list every website you had been to giving you name, internet address, type, size, date last accessed, date last visited, etc.
    I'm assuming from what you are saying about the protected mode etc. that Vista just doesn't work the same as Windows XP, am I correct in my thinking?
    My neice (who is computer savy, works in IT) tried to help me resolve this. She had found some info. at this site that said you should be able to acces it by going to internet options, browsing history temp. internet files and by typing in the address bar /Content.IE5 - however this did not work either.
    I would get as far as typing in / and a list of websites would actually come up listed under the address bar, however it would not give the detailed info. such as name, type, size, internet address last accessed, last checked,etc.
    And typing in the the full content, "/Content.IE5" did not make any difference.
    This has even her baffled, any comments? Is there just no way in Vista to access the browsing history in internet options, temp. internet files like you could with Windows XP ??