DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! pLzz Partition Magic 8.0 error #105,110. Vista unable to locate hard drive

Nodame is offline New Member

Exclamation HELP! pLzz Partition Magic 8.0 error #105,110. Vista unable to locate hard drive

I just got my Dell Vostro and the first thing I do is running Partition Magic 8.0 to try to do a partition on my hard drive. The computer originally has three partitions: Dell Utility Partition(32MB), Recovery Partition (40G)and Vista Partition(200G). When I run Partition Magic it gave error #110 "table number of sectors is inconsistent", and it offered a 'fix' by resetting the table number of sectors of the drive. I clicked OK, but then after that, it then have error #105 "Partition starts on wrong boundary" and it could not detect any hard drive available to partition.

Even worse, after I left Partition Magic 8.0 I cannot start Windows Vista anymore and I cannot run any Recovery options provided. I cannot run the Restore to Factory. The computer is no longer able to locate the hard drive after Partition Magic do that 'fix', I sincerely do not know how to solve this problem.

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I am sorry to hear about your problem..does booting with the DELL recovery disk not work? You should be presented with a list of options...note that you will have to reformat the hard drive, but the tools to do so are contained within the disk (or within windows setup).
    This is a difficult problem to fix without 'being there' at your PC; but hopefully we can get you back up and running.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nodame View Post
    I just got my Dell Vostro and the first thing I do is running Partition Magic 8.0 to try to do a partition on my hard drive. The computer originally has three partitions: Dell Utility Partition(32MB), Recovery Partition (40G)and Vista Partition(200G). When I run Partition Magic it gave error #110 "table number of sectors is inconsistent", and it offered a 'fix' by resetting the table number of sectors of the drive. I clicked OK, but then after that, it then have error #105 "Partition starts on wrong boundary" and it could not detect any hard drive available to partition.

Even worse, after I left Partition Magic 8.0 I cannot start Windows Vista anymore and I cannot run any Recovery options provided. I cannot run the Restore to Factory. The computer is no longer able to locate the hard drive after Partition Magic do that 'fix', I sincerely do not know how to solve this problem.

Hi and welcome to the Forum as James has said sorry to hear about your problem and you should try to do as he says first. And as James also says it is hard to sort out without being there. My suggestion therefore is that as your pc is new to go to where you got it from and get help there as they should have everything to hand, or contact Dell directly. I did a search on line but couldn't come up with an answer for this code for you sorry, but you are in the right place to get help, because I'm sure that one of our people will know more. good luck

Thanks Seti for your suggestions....the only other thing I can suggest Nodame tries is to boot his/her laptop with the PartitionMagic CD, and try and reformat the C: drive, then run the Recovery CD. My DELL is a few years old, and I have the Windows CD, so I don't know if the DELL Recovery CD needs to have the recovey partition in existence in order for it to work. I'm thinking not. If that is the case, I would delete all partitions, reformat and boot the recovery CD. I hope that is not too confusing for Nodame!

rkonit is offline Gold Member

PM8 is not campatible w/ Windows Vista. I think, you have to restore to factory defaults.

Thanks Ramesh, I wasn't sure if PM was compat with Vista or not. I much prefer Acronis Disk Director these days.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Try going into the setup screen when the computer is booting up. Usually Dell computers show a splash screen for a very short time during boot that gives you the option of hitting F2 or F10. I think F10 will take you to the setup screen. Setup is also not the correct name for this tool but I am not in front of my Dell to check that out.

Once in setup make sure the hard drive is set to automatic. It sounds like PM may have turned off your hard drive while trying to do it's thing and then did not turn it back on because of the conflict.

If this works I would suggest then doing the set to factory conditions restore and starting over.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodame View Post
    The computer is no longer able to locate the hard drive after Partition Magic do that 'fix', I sincerely do not know how to solve this problem.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Any luck nodame?

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Partition magic mit be famous and used by many but its gives probs too Some where u have a bad membrane in hard disk. IF u could back up your data into some external drive then do a re partition of all your drives. I feel Dell recovery thing just eats up space.So repartition hard disk install OS and then do a back up image and keep it on your drive so that u can restore later..

Nodame is offline New Member

Thank you all for the help.

I was able to use Dell recovery disc to restore to factory setting. However, it still keep partition done by Partition Magic. I guess it rename the table number of sectors and Vista now recognizes the new partition drive.

What I was trying to do originally is to partition a new drive and have XP installed in that drive as many of my music software are not compatible with Vista. However, I am having trouble installing XP from CD boot. It gave the error "SHSUCDX can't be installed" and the installation cannot start.

Is there any way to install both XP and Vista in a computer? Vista seems to always require itself to be the primary active drive and it always recognizes itself as the C drive no matter how I rename them. Is it the reason I cannot install XP properly?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast