DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Poor Internet Performance in Vista

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Question Poor Internet Performance in Vista

I was just wondering ?????????

I just upgraded Windows XP to Vista Home Premium just a few days ago and my internet performance has gotten significantly slower , no ........ allot slower than when I had XP .

I have tweaked about all I know to tweak and the Vista OS now runs lickaty split but everytime I open IE7 it's like being back on dialup or worse , are there any settings in IE7 or elsewhere that I may be overlooking to get my internet performance back up to where it used to be ?

I am running Vista Home Premuim connected to a Linksys router ( there are 3 other computers on this router but that has never posed a problem before ) , the router is not wireless but wired so it's not like there is a signal problem even though the router is set up in my office not more than 5 feet from my system .

Does anyone have any suugestions that may be able to help me

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Have you checked your broadband speed? Broadband Speed Test

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Speed test

I used speakeasy.net being as I am in the U.S. and not the UK , the results were :

Download Speed: 1281 kbps (160.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 129 kbps (16.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Which seems to be pretty good but yet webpages seem to take forever to load ????

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Have you tried cleaning the temp folders ccleaner is a good program CCleaner - Home

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    I was just wondering ?????????

I just upgraded Windows XP to Vista Home Premium just a few days ago and my internet performance has gotten significantly slower , no ........ allot slower than when I had XP .

I have tweaked about all I know to tweak and the Vista OS now runs lickaty split but everytime I open IE7 it's like being back on dialup or worse , are there any settings in IE7 or elsewhere that I may be overlooking to get my internet performance back up to where it used to be ?

I am running Vista Home Premuim connected to a Linksys router ( there are 3 other computers on this router but that has never posed a problem before ) , the router is not wireless but wired so it's not like there is a signal problem even though the router is set up in my office not more than 5 feet from my system .

Does anyone have any suugestions that may be able to help me
    edee rather than try and sort the problem yourself, go to pcpitstop and run the tests there which you can do without creating an account, you may have to do it through IE for ease. Once the tests completes they will tell you where the problems lay. But a word of Caution, they may suggest 3rd party solutions that you don't need, so once you run the tests and gop the results you'll at least have an idea where the problem lays and how to solve it

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Often, I will reboot my cable modem and router. Sometimes this appears to 'freshen up' the signal. Easiest thing to try first, eh?

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Often, I will reboot my cable modem and router. Sometimes this appears to 'freshen up' the signal. Easiest thing to try first, eh?
    Yes always do the simple things first. like checking for updated drivers online etc, but if you can't solve it that way then try pcpitstop

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Clean up temp folders use ccleaner + disk cleaner + tune up 08

Tune up has a performance tweaker option to improve net speed.. check that..