DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data lost upgrading from XP to Vista

rudolfo2 is offline New Member

Default Data lost upgrading from XP to Vista

I went from Win XP PRO to Vista Ultimate last week and was shocked when my music collection on two Seagate 1.5TB discs wasn't recognized.I must initialized the discs and lost all data on them or is there some other solution !!???
    I'm desperate.

seti is offline Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Did you do an upgrade or new installation? If you did a new install(clean install) you wil have lost everything. If you did an upgrade, then try a search for the files first, if not there go to help and try and get your answer. If no luck then come back here and someone willtry to help

I did clean install.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by rudolfo2 View Post
    I did clean install.
    When you do a clean install there is a warning that all previous data will be lost. What happens when you do a clean install, firstly the disk is "wiped" and formatted then the new OS is installed where the cleaning has taken place. I am sorry but unless you've done a back up I think you may have lost everything unless someone else knows if is possible to recover it for you

James is offline Microsoft MVP

rudolfo2, see if there is a folder (directory) called 'Windows.old" under C: (your windows drive). If there is, all of your old data/music/pictures should be there, provided you used Windows default locations to store them in XP. If you truly did a clean install, as Seti stated above, all your data would be lost, unfortunately.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I am not following your statement "on two Seagate 1.5TB disk".

Questions:

1. I assume you have two internal HD's installed?
    2. Did you have XP Pro on one and your data on the other?
    3. Which one did you do the clean install on?

Give us a little more detail about your setup before the Vista install and exactly what you did when you installed Vista. Sorry, but I teach Program Management after a long PM career and I find that data and information always help in situations like this. Don't worry if your reply is long. As much info as possible will be good.

I went from Win XP PRO to Vista Ultimate last week and was shocked when my music collection on two Seagate 1.5TB discs wasn't recognized.I must initialized the discs and lost all data on them or is there some other solution !!???
    I'm desperate.

My clean install was on new 40GB SATA disk,two 1.5 TB Seagate with my music collection I still have,didn't initialized them when I noticed that Vista don't recognize them.My plan is to let my friend on Win XP machine transfer music on external drives and then I'll format them and load music back.I hope that Vista hasn't the same problems with external drives.I also have WD 1TB My Book which I'm now afraid to connect;maybe My Book will load some Vista drivers and all data will be lost.Could someone assure me that It's safe to connect My Book (created in Win XP ) to Vista without losing the data ??? TIA for any advise.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I ran into the same problem with a Iomega External Drive when I upgraded my laptop to Vista. I also had to off load the data onto another drive, format the Iomega and reload the data, then it worked on both my Vista laptop and my XP desktop just fine.

I did not loose any data when I initially plugged the Iomega into the laptop with the new Vista install. I think you will be fine. Let us know what happens.

My clean install was on new 40GB SATA disk,two 1.5 TB Seagate with my music collection I still have,didn't initialized them when I noticed that Vista don't recognize them.My plan is to let my friend on Win XP machine transfer music on external drives and then I'll format them and load music back.I hope that Vista hasn't the same problems with external drives.I also have WD 1TB My Book which I'm now afraid to connect;maybe My Book will load some Vista drivers and all data will be lost.Could someone assure me that It's safe to connect My Book (created in Win XP ) to Vista without losing the data ??? TIA for any advise.
    Last edited by roraniel; 27th January 2009 at 17:25.

My Book is connected now and everything's fine.

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast