DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Internet performance with different IPs

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default Internet performance with different IPs

This is a problem that has me puzzled for a while. I do not expect to resolve it here, but I would appreciate your views and opinions on it. To exclude one possibility you should know that I use 6 different browsers and the behavior is the same regardless of browser. So the problem is not browser related. Here is the situation: I operate 2 systems in the US and 2 sytems in Germany. In the US I use ATT as the IP and have this measured download/upload performance:

Here I have excellent access to webpages - instant to US webpages and very fast access to European webpages. Download speed is 170 kB/sec which one would expect (you get what you pay for).

In Germany I have this measured download/upload performance. I use a subsidiary of German Telecom as IP:

The downloads go at about 700kB/sec (which one would expect) but the access to webpages is dismal. Although this is a much better line specification, it is slow to access webpages in Europe and for webpages in the US it is painful. I have once traced a call on one of the US based forums and this was the result:

As you can see, the call was routed via 16 hops and many hops had very slow response times.

My question is, does the IP provider have an influence on the routing of my calls or is this just bad luck? Since this is not a single case but the usual pattern, should I complain to the IP or is that something they do not control and complaining will not help.
    It is just puzzling me that I get such a poor performance from Germany with what looks like a much better connection than the one in the US. If anybody can shed light on this, I would appreciate.
    Last edited by whs; 31st January 2009 at 05:01.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I don't really know all that much about the in & outs of network protocols and such, but have you ever tried Open DNS? I just change the nameservers in my wireless router to theirs and I get good response times.
    Worth a try!

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

James, thanks. I will have a look at this. Especially since my router is a Netgear and they seem to partner with them. But I am not sure whether it helps. My calls get "stuck" on the net. They are routed thru too many hoops and the response time of those hoops is not good. What I am wondering is, whether the IP has the possibility to assign a priority to the calls - and my IP uses low priority and that's why the calls get stuck. At least that is one of my theories.
    Reason I like to discuss it here is because I want to understand as much as possible about how the IP schedules those calls. That way I can have an intelligent discussion with my IP when I am back in Germany and they cannot BS me.