DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: How can I switch a permanently USB attached disk on and off

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default How can I switch a permanently USB attached disk on and off

I have a Seagate external disk that is permanently attached via USB. I use that disk to image my system with Norton Ghost, but I also have other files on there that I occasionally need to use. 90% of the time, however, this disk is just ideling.
    I was looking for a way to switch it off during idle time and switch it back on when needed. Looking into power management, I did not find a way to cut power from an individual USB port - only from a whole hub, if at all. I also explored the option to "safely remove" it, but then I would have crawl under the desk to unplug/replug it for the system to reveive the interrupt for the disk to be recognized again.
    So basically I am stuck with this problem. The main reason for disconnecting it would be to protect my Ghost images from malware. As long as it is running and accessable, a smart malware could damage the MFT or the directories and then all my images would be useless.
    If anybody has an idea on how to deal with this problem, I would appreciate your input.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Can you do simple wiring?

I am the Hitechnoid: USB on/off-switch mod

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

neat solution roraniel, I like that idea.

have you considered getting a hub so that you're not having to go under desk, or possibly disable/enable the driver?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

roraniel, thanks for the tip. That is certainly worth exploring (although I am not too good at "building" things). But maybe I can find a cable like this on the web that one can buy.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Put an ad on craigslist for a young electronics student to make one for ya!!