DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Hard Drive Shows Full but Isn't

JulieL1224 is offline New Member

Default Hard Drive Shows Full but Isn't

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 142GB Hard drive and Vista Professional OS, Office 2007, Diskeeper pre-installed. It's not quite one year old. I have loaded Quickbooks, Adobe Suite 8.1.3, Money, Symantec 360, HP Printer Software. Recently, it has appeared that my Hard Drive has been showing that it was almost full, down to 4 GB free. I ran a disk analyzer on it and it shows I have 42GB of data, operating files, program files, etc. but that the used space on the Hard Drive is at 140 GB. I've gone through and cleaned up all files and am de-fragging it right now but with everything I've done I've only freed up maybe 15 GB of space. Is there some program I have installed that may be holding on to that space or having it show as full but isn't? Has Vista been known to do this?

iMav is offline Gold Member

Hibernate & System Restore would be the pones taking the space on your hard disk.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Try Disktective. With Disktective you can find out the real size of your directories and distribution of used space inside them.

seti is offline Member

If you are sure that you don't need one you could turn off system restore as this can hog disk space.
    Go to system.#then advanced system properties# system properies in the box that comes up# untick the box next to the local disk. You will need to ok this each time asked to do so. you should only really do this if you are sure about things on your system, because system restore can help if you run into problems. this will free up some space for you.

Welcome to the forum by the way

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

for getting some more disk space right click on c:\ drive then click on diskcleanup there and check boxes according to your need and then clcik on more options tab and clean the shadow files from there and click on delete files...it will gain good disk space for you....or disable the hibernation feautre it will gains 3gigs od disk sapce for this run cmd as administrator then type the following command and execute: POWERCFG -H OFF
    or if you have vista SP1 installed on your system then again run cmd and execute the following command vsp1cln.exe, and then press y to continue, it frees up almost 1gb of disk space..

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Any success with any of these suggestions, Julie?

rkonit is offline Gold Member

If you wanna use HIBERNATE....and don't wanna disable/remove hiberfile....then go to resize the hiberfil.sys

{ it’s my Windows } - Windows Tutorials, How do I?, Tips n Trick, Registry Tweaks & much more… How to reduce the size/resize/remove of hiberfil.sys