DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Problem with WMM output quality

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default Problem with WMM output quality

As some of you know, I use a video capture program to record little tutorials from the screen. The quality of the capture is excellent. Today I split a longer tutorial into 2 parts hoping to be able to paste it together with Windows Movie Maker. I have done that several times already with movies captured from YouTube etc. and with excellent results. With the tutorials, however, I had a bad surprise. Although the inputs were very good, the output was hardly readable or of very bad quality. As a test, I have produced a very short video that I uploaded in the original capture version and also after I had published it from the WMM storyboard. Please see for youself how different they are. This is even more amazing, as both the input and the output is in .wmv. If anybody has an idea how to fix this, I would appreciate the input.

Here is the original version: The original capture on Vimeo

This is the version processed with WMM: The capture processed with WMM on Vimeo

Please enlarge the screen. The control is on the bottom right of the little screen

Note also, that I made a few tests earlier with some music videos and had no problems at all. That was just for testing whether my WMM would be defunct. In fact, the music videos that are on the same site as the above, were also compiled with WMM. I find them to be very acceptable

Btw: I tried the same, capturing the inputs with Windows Media Encoder. The result was the same.
    Last edited by whs; 16th February 2009 at 07:39.

whs

I finally solved the problem using the Machete program. That program does not do any transformations - thus there is no loss of quality and the output is the sum of the parts. WMM does transform the inputs (even if it is .wmv which also is the output format). And not only does that take a lot of time, but also deteriorates the resulting quality and/or increases the filesize to the double or even more (depending on the quality level chosen). The "recommended" WMM default is one of the worst options.
    Last edited by whs; 18th February 2009 at 20:55.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Is that a free program?

whs

It is $19.95 OTC. You can get a 14 day trial from here ( Machete: Slim, easy and quick video editor that you were looking for ) and see whether it ia worth your money. I just discovered it last week following a hint from my friend ScottW on the HTG forum. If you want to read the full story, see this ( Quality deterioration using WMM How-To Geek Forums ).