DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Acronis True Image Rocks (Review)

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default Acronis True Image Rocks (Review)

I recently re-loaded Vista on my daughters friends computer (for the second time) So I decided to MAKE her buy Acronis True Image so I could setup a "Acronis Secure Zone" partition with a backup of the clean install.

After getting the clean install completely up to date, all the drivers loaded, everything cleaned up, and the drive defragged, I installed Acronis.

Setting up the Secure Zone was a snap, Just click "Protection State" on the left and click "Activate" next to "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager". Follow the prompts to complete. I just let it choose the size of the new partition for me so I could test the partition manager later.

It reboots and sets up your new partition during reboot. You can watch the progress on the screen during startup.

Next I opened Acronis and proceeded to create an image of the computer choosing the new partition as the location for the image. This took about 25 minutes to set it up and create the image.

Next I used "Tools" "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" to re-size my new partition with the new backup image. It is very easy, your choices are Increase size, Decrease size, Remove, and Change Password.

I chose Decrease size and checked C: and the new partition. This tells it that I want the space swapped between these two partitions.

Next I was presented with a slider bar that showed occupied and free space of the partition I was decreasing. I set it so it was about 1/2 gig bigger than the occupied space.

Next it shows you a map of the before and after affects of your change. I clicked proceed and 20 minutes later the new partition with the backup image was re-sized and the remaining space was added to the C: Drive.

I defragged the C: drive to see if all this had a negation affect on fragmentation and it was clean.

Once done you are presented with an option to choose F11 during start-up. Choosing F11 opens Acronis and gives you the option of restoring your computer from an image on the new partition.

This was slick and fast and I have NEVER done anything with partitions before. I was impressed.

seti is offline Member

thanks for the review and information. I will take a look at it later and give it a try may be when she who must be obeyed gets her new pc

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Well I have just downloaded true image 10 personal and I'm about to back up my c drive for the first time ever lol. JR

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Acronis is one of many. I use Norton Ghost which works well too. I once made a summary of what is available here ( Ghosting approaches - summary because of popular demand How-To Geek Forums ). I also had made a variety of Norton Ghost tutorials for various people that I have uploaded here: ( Ghost Tutorials.zip - Windows Live ).

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I agree; Acronis True Image does rock. I have been using it for years. My all time favourite previous to Acronis was PowerQuest's Drive Image. I have used Ghost (it was neat; you could boot from a floppy and run it), currently, along with Acronis True Image, I am trying Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2009. I have created a disk image, but I haven't explored the recovery options yet.
    Also, be sure to register the software (create an account) with Acronis so you get access to their frequent updates.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Acronis True Image is a life-saver. First think I do after a fresh Windows install and after installing the required updates & software is that I clone the system drive.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^ Yup..It's the best paid software... I used use it..And then switched to Macrium Reflect Free.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

That reminds me, there is a post on WVC which may interest some : 6 Freeware Acronis True Image & Norton Ghost Alternatives