Thread: Hidden recovery partition

sdine is offline New Member

Unhappy Hidden recovery partition

I brought a lenovo notebook. it had a windows vista version already installed in it. I wanted to install xp with dual boot option and hence i booted it with xp cd. but i could only see one partition in that -hence being afraid of losing vista , i quit the installation process and rebooted.

but to my horror the system was not getting booted. hence i formatted the hard disk using the xp cd i had and installed xp on it. I later on found that lenovo had a key which could have restored the vista. but now that i have formatted the hard drive , i am not sure whether the hidden partition used to recover is deleted or not.

is there any way to check out whether its deleted or not or anyway to recover it??

roraniel is offline Gold Member

The "Hidden" partition should have been visible using the xp installation cd on the srceen where you format the drives.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

The easiest way to check if there is hidden drive: the total amount of HDD size- all your visible drive size(Usable size. For example, I can only use 298 GB out of 320 GB in my HDD). Tell me the size of your HDD so that I can tell you the amount of size usable.

Else use some partition software like PM.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

sdline, sorry to say that, but you used pretty much a "wild west" approach. The hidden partition is your recovery partiton from which you are supposed to burn your Vista recovery DVD's. I guess you did not do that either (that is usually the first todo). All you can try now is to reinstall Vista (from the recovery partition - if it is still there) and first burn those DVD's. Power up your PC and look on the flash screen which key(s) to press for "Recover PC" or something like that. It is different for every manufacturer and unfortunately I don't have the Lenovo procedure. For Gateway and Dell it is F8, for HP it is F11, for Acer ALT+F10, for Toshiba the Zero key - so you see, it can be anything.
    You need to go thru this step because chances are high that XP will never work on your system because of lack of hardware drivers. The newer systems are often only supported for Vista. If you cannot get that to work, call Lenovo for an installation/recovery disk. They usually ship that for a S&H charge.
    You can , however, run XP in a Virtual Partition ( http://www.winvistaclub.com/forum/wi...partition.html ). That has the advantage that XP will benefit from the drivers of the host system.

Sarah Poll is offline New Member

Default Re:

Your drive may be hidden but the data is safe you can recover it by using any recovery tool or Stellar Phoenix Partition Recovery Software which is quite useful in this case.The software is embedded with advanced features like Partition Recovery, Email Recovery, Disk Cloning, Deep Scan, Drive Status and Raw Recovery from CD and USB drives...

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

A friend of a mine was in that same mess a while ago
    It took me some time to figure out how to restore his computer.
    Finally I discovered it being quite simple.
    All I had to do is set the 'hidden' recovery partition 'active' ,using a partition manager on a bootable cd and reboot the computer to start recovery.
    (You can create that bootable partition manager on cd on another computer).

Another option would be to install a free partition manager on your current XP.
    In this case I'd suggest using Easeus Free Partition Master Home Edition and set your recovery partition 'active'.
    (but any other partition manager will do)

Might be worth giving this a try.

For some strange reason I am not allowed to post an URL.LOL.

Good luck.

Robert

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit- Just noticed the original post is dated way back 02-17-2009..
    well, it might be useful to others...

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Dr McCoy - 'It's life, Jim, but not as we know it.'
    Last edited by StrayCat; 9th December 2009 at 17:15. Reason: Update

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

if you have less use of Windows XP then install it in Virtual mode using Virtual PC or Virtual box software...

bill10 is offline Beginner

If you want to fully hide this recovery partition, please change this recovery partition type ID with Partition Magic or other software.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Anything is possible!