DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: How to to remove dual boot & have Linux on a virtual PC within Vista.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Unhappy How do I remove Linux dual boot so I can have Linux on a virtual PC within Vista?

Hi, I have installed linux to my PC duel booting with Vista. Now I want to remove the duel boot and have linux on a virtual PC within Vista but I have come across a few problems.

Grub is the linux boot manager that alows me to choose what OS to boot to but all I want is to boot into Vista without Grub.

I tryed to delete the linux partition as advised by someone and all that did was currupt the Grub boot manager.

I then found two tutorials on line:

1. Using Windows Vista, Server 2008 DVD:

Boot using setup DVD and click on "Repair Computer" link, then click on "Command Prompt". Now navigate to your DVD drive using CD command (no idea what this is) and at last provide following command:

bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr

Exit from Command prompt and restart your system.

Thanks to Ramesh Kumar (Fellow MVP) to provide this trick.

The above commands will remove the Linux boot loader from startup and you'll be able to directly boot into Windows.

If you have not deleted Linux partitions, then you can delete them using "Disk Manager" tool in Windows.

Link How to Remove Linux Boot Loader From Startup After Deleting Linux Partition on a Dual-Boot System?

2. For Windows Vista.

Boot using setup DVD and click on "Repair Computer" link, then click on "Command Prompt".Type bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr.Come out of the Command Prompt and restart your PC.

Link How to delete Linux from Startup Menu of Dual- boot System - Operating Systems

I have tryed both but with no luck, I might be doing somthing wrong or missing something.

All I get is this is invalid command or somthing like that.

Please please help me. JR
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 24th February 2009 at 15:06.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I have found out how to fix this problem.

Here is the solution:

Boot using setup DVD and click on "Repair Computer" link, then click on "Command Prompt". Provide following command:

'BootRec.exe'. You will see a list of commands you can enter I went for 'Fixmbr'.

Then type in 'BootRec.exe/fixmbr' press enter and restart windows.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Feels good, eh, when one finds out the solution thanks for posting !

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    I have found out how to fix this problem.

Here is the solution:

Boot using setup DVD and click on "Repair Computer" link, then click on "Command Prompt". Provide following command:

'BootRec.exe'. You will see a list of commands you can enter I went for 'Fixmbr'.

Then type in 'BootRec.exe/fixmbr' press enter and restart windows.
    This proves the value of having the setup DVD to hand, because with it you can sort out many problems that you might not be able to do so otherwise. I am sure that the information that you have posted here will help others JR