Thread: Scheduled task

onedeafeye is offline New Member

Default Scheduled task

I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium SP1. I just got it a few weeks ago, so I'm gradually getting things sorted. I use my computer as an alarm clock, and early on I used Task Scheduler to wake my computer. I wasn't acceptable, as several other tasks would also wake it up, and at odd hours. No sleep isn't good. So I right-clicked on that task and deleted it. Now that I have those other tasks fixed so they don't wake me up in the middle of the night, I've gone back to my original task, and find that I can't use the same name because it's 'already in use'. And from Monday to Friday it doesn't matter what time I set, the computer wakes at 6 am. That coincidentally is what I had originally set on the alarm. I'm thinking I just deleted the entry, but the task is still running. I've looked through all the tasks, done a search for the task name, even did a search in the registry, and found nothing. Is there a way to find this task so I can set it right?

Alternatively, is there a way to wake the computer from Sleep mode at a specified time without using Task Scheduler? If I don't have an alarm scheduled, the computer doesn't wake - that's the only task that will bring the computer out of Sleep mode.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

First of all, if you can't see the created task, then you might made in hidden task. In task scheduler go to View > Show hidden tasks.

Now, go to Action > Click Show all running tasks to see all the running tasks. There are many programs that help you to wake up Windows at specified time. Two programs I know are Wake Up! Pro 2.5 and http://www.download32.com/wakeuponstandby-i35026.html
    Last edited by tweakwindows; 2nd March 2009 at 12:00.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Above utilities should help you. Pls also see if Make Your Vista Wake From Sleep Automatically helps you in any way.

I just finished writing a detailed answer, and by the time I got it posted I was logged out and now I have to start over. So you get the short version this time, sorry.
    tweakwindows, I did as you suggested and went through every task that ran in the last 24 hours. I found 2 that ran at the right time but didn't have permission to wake the computer. One I found, TMM, did have permission, and since I only have one monitor, I disabled it and removed permission. I'll try again tonight and post back the results tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.
    HappyAndyK, I've seen that, and in fact that was how I set up my alarm. Thanks.

It's been a long time since I posted here, and I've been fruitlessly chasing a fix. But I did find a workaround, very simple to do. No matter what I do, the computer wakes from sleep at 6am Monday through Friday. But, if I change the time and/or date on the clock before putting the computer to sleep, I can make it wake up at any time I want, even on weekends. I only wish I'd looked for a solution rather than a fix. Thanks for trying to help me, it was appreciated.