DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing "second" Vista on the SSD

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default Installing "second" Vista on the SSD

I am not 100% clear on how to install my Vista on the SSD that I am going to put into my box. Situation is as follows: Today I have Vista on C: and the recovery partition on D: on my HDD. Now I want to install Vista on the SSD - either from D: or from my Installation DVDs. Questions I have:
    1. Do I first have to create a partition on the SSD - I know I have to format it in NTFS because it comes in Fat32
    2. How do I direct the installer to the SSD
    3. Should I change the boot sequence in the BIOS => SSD first
    4. What happens to the bootlader with 2 Vistas on the same system. Do I have to finagle that and how do I do that
    I could, of course, unplug the HDD power cable and install from the DVDs. But eventually I have to replug it in order to reformat C:, probably also D: because the installation will probably write a new D: on the SSD.
    A lot of questions. I would appreciate if someone could "enlighten" me.

whs

Hmm, is everybody as clueless as me?

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Installing via DVD:
    1. You will get format, delete, create partition/drive options during installation
    2. It should detect the SSD. Just select the SSD during the drive selection option.
    3. Not required (Considering that SSD as just another HDD).
    4. It will show the recently (read as newly) installed Vista at the top of the screen
    Ex: Microsoft Windows Vista
    Microsoft Windows Vista
    Don't know about installing from recovery drive. I hope this will help you a bit..

whs

tweakwindows, Thank you, that is very helpful.

You are welcome. Have you installed on new SSD?

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

I'm treading unfamiliar ground here so I probably have as many or more questions than you whs, but my first is are you wanting to keep it as having 2 vistas or are you just moving your OS to the SSD?

whs

1. The SSD is not here yet. It is still in the hands of UPS
    2. No, not 2 Vistas. I just want to dedicate the SSD as the OS disk. Some people report performance gains of 27 times as fast for some operations. Although that is hard to believe, I would like to see for myself.

Some people report performance gains of 27 times as fast for some operations.
    That would be cool. Let us know the final result.

whs

Of course I will let you know. But my expectations are modest because there are a lot of other factors that play a role. But we'll see.
    Today I have spent all day reinstalling Vista. Since my system is from 10/07, I had to go thru a lot of updates (including SP1), as well as for Office and Norton. Now I am nearly back to "normal" but my system is a lot slimmer. I installed only about 50 programs (versus 179 before). My system footprint has decreased by 20GBs - but it is still 42GBs.
    The bits are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Then I will take a Ghost image, install the hardware and reload the new disk with Ghost. Let's hope it works.
    Last edited by whs; 16th March 2009 at 07:18.

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Cant say for others, but I am still in wait to hear back from you as how is the system performing while running from SSD ??

Thanks..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast