DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Lost boot & setup password

shalba1 is offline New Member

Default Lost boot & setup password

Hi,

I'm a total newbie to this forum, but I hope that this post is o.k.

I've been into computers, since the 80's, with a breadboard TI14. Steve Jobs was wiring the Apple I, as a breadboard, out in his garage.

Anyway, I'm completely stumped. I was running Vista Home Basic, OEM, on a Acer desktop computer. I had a Vista Ultimate disk, and I decided to **upgrade** to that. Let me say, that as far as I'm concerned, I'd like use Win98 second update. (Actually Win95.) My commentary on Windows, is that when Microsoft decided to Abandon Win NT, was when the trouble started.
    My son works for M/S, and I asked him ... "seems to me, that what is going on, is that each new version is more and more like Win NT, and less and less like the "good old plug and pray" version".

I really hated Microsoft, for marketing Win ME. It was Win 2000, stripped of a whole lot of apps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry for the rant, but let me tell you what happened when I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. (I checked, and my Acer was Ultimate ready) Well first of all, just about all of my apps wouldn't work. I finally located the site on ACER, which had a few single download ... but then! Wonders, a download which took care of everything which was made by Nvidia. Networkind, audio, and, of course video, and some strange files which made no sense to me. Before that, I had, in desperation, tried for downloads from M/S, or, help in the knowledge base, because I kept getting messages like "mploc.dll is not the correct version. And, other drivers which had the same problem. I decided to boot my Acer backup disk, but couldn't succeed, from inside Windows. So, I started my computer, and pushed delete, to make my DVD drive, the primary startup.

Here is why the thread ... somehow, by upgrading to Ultimate, I found that if I pushed f8, f12, or delete ... I was challenged for a password. I tried every single password I have ever used. I was rewarded by three red x's. The, the screen said, press f1 to continue, and Win Vista started.

Can anyone help me? I'm sorry if this is the wrong topic, but I couldn't find any forum addressing my problem.

***HELP!***

seti is offline Member

If I am reading this right you are trying to boot from your dvd? to do this you might have to enter the bios by pressing f2 and then changing the boot selection from the menu displays you will have to change the order there. If you do this and set your dvd as the 1st option you should be alright. to check if you have made the change, reboot then press f8 and you should get a boot selection come up. I hope this helps because I know of no other of doing things. I am sure that another here will be able to do so. PS welcome to our forum

Unhappy Not quite the problem.

Hi, Seti,

Thanks for responding to my post. When I came to the forum, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the problem, and help. I'm new to this forum; and I've gone to others, and was told to "get the hell out!"

Anyway, you said press f2. I've pressed f8, f12, in fact all of them!
    But, actually I'm not smiling very much, because when I attempt to enter bios, or cmos, incredibly, I get a black page, demanding a
    password.

I'm totally blown away by this, because this happened, when I stupidly decided to upgrade from Vista Home, to Vista Ultimate. I say stupidly, because I put Vista Ultimate on my Laptop ... and it caused so many problems, that I had to "nuke it, and pave it". And, then install Windows XP + service packs, which wasn't great shakes either, but I was far better that Vista.

Sorry. It beats me, how installing Vista Ultimate, can install a password in the basic startup of a machine. I would have said, "That's impossible". But, BTW, As far as I'm concerned, the old saying "Garbage in, garbage out". That says, of course, if anything goes wrong, it's either the program's fault, or what you type in. OH, YEAH. Computers are *not* infallible. Consider how many times an e-mail, gets "lost in cyberspace".

Anyway, I had tried what you suggested, but it was a good answer to my not being able to boot from my CDR/DVD player.

To anyone else reading this, I thought of removing for a minute, the ROM battery, but then I'd lose the Bios, and I would then **really** have a problem.

I'm Irish, and I talk to much. It's obvious that I also type too much.

Thanks again, and my God bless you.

Barry (shalba1) (barrett190@comcast.net)

James is offline Microsoft MVP

There are other ways to reset a BIOS...see this article for some suggestions:
    How to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

Also: http://www.tech-faq.com/acer-bios-password.shtml

Talking Password ~~~~~

Hi, James:

Wow, wow, wow! Unbelievable! What a reply! Thanks very, very much

I'm a guy, who does'nt give up easily, and I tried first of all to get a manual for the computer, from Acer. Oh, yeah. They're only the manufacturer!
    Their "support" section told how to choose a topic which describe your problem. OK, but, I typed in Password for Cmos and Bios needed, and it gave a "problem" to choose. It had a password bit ... but it was for another computer, and if your Bios was old, it wouldn't recognize your keyboard.
    Use a non Acer keyboard, and you will be able to change ..., then download a new Bios, but they made that so complicated, and they said "Scary"
    Why? I happen to be using a M/S egornomic keyboard, so that was ~~~

Well, 'most of the time' I'm a google fan, and I typed in Manual for Acer,
    M2400, and up popped a site called Retrevo .. (Consumer Electronics Reviews, Product Manuals, Guides and Deals: Retrevo) and they had manuals for just about any computer you'd want ... and get this ... for free! And, they weren't lying. I downloaded the manual, and used Adobe Reader to open it, and, How about this ... on page 4, it had a layout where all the jumpers were, and the next page explained how to set them... and, as so many computers do, these days, you could use their jumpers to overclock it. I did that years ago, but with a 300meg/hertz CPU, and it was fun, to do, until it fried! I bitched about that on a overclocking group, and I received a very short, sweet pain: If you can't afford the pain, don't play the game!

I said in my last reply post, that I am Irish, and have the (gift??) of gab, and I sure have run on in this post, too.

Finally, I cut to the chase. The mother board, it turns out, has a switch, and "off", no password, and "on" activate. Ain't computers wonderful. But, password": , but, believe you me, as soon as I can finally stop typing (talking), the old printer is going to print out your letter. Oh, yeah. One more thing, I couldn't find anywhere on the Acer site, where you could uprate your Bios? That's really wacky.

Take care, Thank you, again. And may God bless you.

"Shalba1". Barry,

(barrett190 at comcast dot net)

seti is offline Member

as long as you are sorted that is the main thing that makes us all happy