DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista Thumb.db settings - How to create multiple video thumbs.db

erosoft is offline New Member

Arrow Vista Thumb.db settings - How to create multiple video thumbs.db

Hi all !!!

This is my first post and before all, i would like to introduce me first...

In these days i'm trying to find out if there is any chance to change the default settings on Vista about the automatic creation of Video Thumbs.db file.

Actually seems that Vista create for alle the videos a thumb choosing a frame at a particular start time. It seem like 2 or 3 seconds forward.

And unfortunately (on Mediacenter) usually at that frame, there is a black thumb.

Is it possibile to change this default time to pickup the frame ?
    Or do you know an alternative solution to easy create multiple thumbs on thousands Video at once ?

Thanks alot
    i hope to see any reply soon. ;-)
    Note: Sorry about my English, not so smooth.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Do you know an alternative solution to easy create multiple thumbs on thousands Video at once ?

Vista stores all thumbnails and previews in a centralized thumbnail database. The centralized thumbnail database is located in the following folder:

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Expl orer

There are a few files with prefix thumbcache with filename has the format similar to thumbcache_xxxx.db

where xxx replace your thumbs cache size (in pixels)

If you wanna create all thumbnails at once..and your have Video folder that contains categorized videos in sub folders...then select the main folder and goto its Properties and switch to Customize tab.

Choose Video in kind of folder section
    Check to apply this template to all subfolder and click APPLY or OK
    Last edited by rkonit; 23rd March 2009 at 05:33.

Thanks alot for your prompt reply, but what i need is, change how the system retrieve the single frame from a videoclip.

Is it possibile to set an exact time starting from 0 "zero" to take the snapshot
    at 10'' from the beginning and then store it on thumbcache ?

If you know a particular setting on the registry where to change this fixed snapshot time.

I would like to recreate all the Thumbs, but at different pickup time, because i already have all the Video Thumbed.

Thanks alot.

Hi, any news about this thread ? :-(

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Do I understand that you effectively want to make "pictures" from certain frames? If that is the case, you can use Windows Movie Maker (and there are other programs) that make .jpeg snips of any frame you choose. In WMM, play the video, stop it where you want to capture the frame, go to "Tools" > "take picture from preview". That's all.

Its not exactly what i need, because already found a free application to take snapshot from any movies.
    I was wondering if there was any windows setting to set the Autosnapshot at a different frame, that Vista usually create at a fixed frame automatically for any video and showed as Icon of the File Movie.

In other words i would like to change the Thumbs (used to replace the standard icon of the file) of any video, but for example not at frame 50 but 100, just to avoid the black snapshot usually found at the beginning of any movies.

But probably its easier to explain than to set
    Thanks anyway

whs

Why don't you just crop the black stuff at the beginning. I use a little program called Machete to be found at (Machete: Slim, easy and quick video editor that you were looking for ). They support AVI and WMV formats (I have 90% WMV). Machete has the advantage that it does not transform your video in any way (like e.g. WMM). Works well for me and I get real pictures as thumbs.

mmm... Could be a Solution... I'll try.
    But most of my Videos are x264 (mkv) and i have lots of movies to crop, can it crop multiple file in a batch process ?

whs

They have to be cropped individually because you can only crop at Key-Frame boundaries. A Key-Frame is the root frame for the next compressed frames that follow. If you were cropping on a compressed frame. you would be missing the base and get a rubbish result.
    But the real problem will be your Matroska format. I don't think there are many programs that can deal with that - Machete definitely cannot. Sorry. I guess you are back to square one.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

VLC player have inbuilt function to take snap shots at different frame rates easily.... give it a try | VLC Player

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast