DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Totally Strange - Vistax64 windows updates problem

cartman is offline New Member

Angry Totally Strange - Vistax64 windows updates problem

I have just installed Vistax64 along with VS2008 and SQL08 and have kept my updates to notify but dont download or install them!!! And i am using ESET Smart Sec 4.0 that pops up to say install updates!!

My PROBLEM IS VISTA STARTED DOWNLOADING UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY WITHOUT MY INTERVENTION!!! I UNDERSTAND THIS SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING, BUT IT DID!!!

GOT DAMMIT! I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY!! ANY SOLNS?!
    MY COMP CONFIG: Q6600 + 4GB + XFX512GT

seti is offline Member

By default in set up when you install you are asked to choose automatic updates as recommended. If you do this then you will get them downloading and installing. To change this go to Control panel, security centre, Updates change settings and choose the option from there. The best one is to download but not install so you check first. You can also uninstall updates, but going to updates checking what is installed and you are given the option at the top to uninstall . Warning you should always keep important updates as these are security updates, it is safe to uninstall recommended ones.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

So the problem as I understand, is that you have configured WU to only notify but dont download/install and yet they do download. If the problem is the Eset popups, then you may disable them from the Eset setup. Maybe Eset is changing settings.

Pls have a look at your WU settings and reconfirm what they are now.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

As Andy sir pointed out i feel NOD overwrites and makes the recommended settings so that WU does occur for security reasons.. ...

Exclamation Its terrible!

Thanks for reply! Maybe eset is changing settings but i am 100% sure that my upd settings are set to Notify only! I am uploading some Images that may gave u better understanding!
    This image shows i have winupdates to notify only!<br />

<br />This Image shows ESET smart sec 4 popping to tell me updates not installed!!!!<br />

<br />Its not that i dont wanna install updates, but rt nw when i am viewing sql08 vids it makes my b/w slow! HELP! <br />
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    So the problem as I understand, is that you have configured WU to only notify but dont download/install and yet they do download. If the problem is the Eset popups, then you may disable them from the Eset setup. Maybe Eset is changing settings.

Pls have a look at your WU settings and reconfirm what they are now.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Are you sure that those updates were actually downloaded? Usually, when they appear in "available updates", they will only download when you "install" them.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Hi, cartman.

I think you are a candidate for WinPatrol. Although an old post, it illustrates the features. Of course, WinPatrol has been updated since then but you'll get the idea from this: Detect Changes to Windows Automatic Updates with WinPatrol

Thumbs up Will it help?!

Thanks for replying! I have installed it and things are now going under control!
    But i dont understand in first place that why it downloaded updates without my permission?! Not a big issue but definitely worth considering! It could put Microsoft under trouble!! Maybe its the fkin eset smart security 4 that would be enabling the MS upadates to install forcefully!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Hi, cartman.

I think you are a candidate for WinPatrol. Although an old post, it illustrates the features. Of course, WinPatrol has been updated since then but you'll get the idea from this: Detect Changes to Windows Automatic Updates with WinPatrol