DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows Vista Freezes

YannickB is offline New Member

Default Windows Vista Freezes

So, like many I am experiencing vista freezes.

I bought a brand new Acer Aspire 6930 and right out of the box it started freezing every now and then.

Two different types of freezing:

My open windows don't do anything anymore, my mouse pointer still moves, either goes away after a while, or goes into phase 2.

Phase 2: my entire system gets stuck.

Both seem to happen at random, and at several applications, mostly during browsing, as that's what I currently do most, both in IE7 & FF2.

I've done a lot of things that might solve the problem (according to others on the internet)

- All Drivers updated
    - Windows fully updated
    - Memory test (One integrated within windows & Memtest89)
    - I've deinstalled some crapware from acer
    - I've cleaned out my registry
    - I've scanned for spy & adware

First thing I did was mailed support about the problem, but they haven't reacted yet.

I'm aware the easiest solution is going back to the shop & asking for a replacement but I can't get there during the week, and rather not wait this long, so if anyone can help me out, please do!

My system configuration: ACER S Aspire 6930ZG-424G50MN T4200 500GB 4GB 16 Inch DVD-RW 9300M GS VHP :: Tones.be (Not bought at this shop, though it probably doesn't matter)

Lastly, a strange thing I did notice, was that my task manager says my total RAM is 3gb while it should be 4, but the memtests didn't show any errors.

Cheers,
    Yannick

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Most OEM installs give this problem. And the main culprit is the crapware, which you appear to have reduced. Nevertheless since you have just bought a new one, consider going in for a virgin install of Vista and then create a ghost copy of it. A fresh Vista installation is a pleasure to work with unlike a crapified OEM install.

Meanwhile see if something at Windows Vista Freezes Frequently helps you.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Yeah gofor uninstallation of un-used software stuff that have been loaded by OEMs.
    OR Use Retail copy of Vista n install your OEM license.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YannickB View Post
    Lastly, a strange thing I did notice, was that my task manager says my total RAM is 3gb while it should be 4, but the memtests didn't show any errors.
    Welcome to the WVC forums, YannickB!
    Unfortunately, 32-bit versions of Windows cannot access (or 'see') more than 3GB of RAM. The system BIOS should report all 4GB however.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^Yes missed that part. Thanks.

More on that here : Why does Vista Report less RAM when 4 GB is installed.

seti is offline Member

I am not sure you have an OEM of Vista. I have and have never had any problems with it at all, but then I have the 64 bit Ultimate edition.

2. You need to have Firefox 3 and IE8 installed asap as that will stop all problems related to both of those.

3. When you start, start in safe mode then right click on your disk down to properties and schedual a disk check with automatically fix errors. restart and let that complete and then see what happens

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

give a fresh installation of vista home premium x64 and use your OEM to activate it, it will solve all your problems, x64 use 4Gb of ram, install IE8 and FF3.07, install SP2 of vista. give atleast 50 Gb to your C drive, update all your device driver from vendors website or from windows update, install the latest version of softwares used by you. thats it you will enjoy the vista.
    i run vista business x64 and have 1Gb of ram but never face a freezing condition in vista.