DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Can't find a file

TrevC is offline New Member

Default Can't find a file

I've just spent all day at home doing a Uni assignment, which was origionally sent from my work computer to my home pc as a word attachment.
    I've saved it by just pressing 'save', and not 'save as', and now I can't find it anywhere on my Pc! Has it gone into a temporary internent file,? if so I can't find it!
    please can someone help me we this silly error I've made!!

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

simple, search it using windows inbuilt search.....you'll find it if you've properly save it. or if don't remind the name then type *.doc\docx, so you'll get the list of all word documents you have in your PC, then scroll and find the required....

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

In case you dont remember its name or where it has got saved, try saving another similar document in the same way, and see the location where IT gets saved. That would be the default location where your earlier doc may have got saved. Then search that location/ folder manually.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

With whichy browser did u save and as Anand sir said save a dummy file don go to meddle with the location and clcik save now u can get 2 know where u have saved..

TrevC is offline New Member

thanks all, but still can't find it- from what I read elsewhere on the web, the file could be 'super hidden', - I've tried to follow the saving route for similar attachments, but now when I click 'save', a message appears that says that the function cannot be processed due to a permision error, and gives me an option to try the save again, whereupon I get directed to my files to save in the way I would if I had pressed 'save as'.
    One route that did appear in the web address box at the top of the screen was 'C:\Users\larkspur\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\H3RJABBV\image001[2].gif- however I cannot open it- but the 'Content.IE5' area was somewhere where I read that these superhidden files can be- any ideas anyone?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

In Windows Vista, the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder is located at:
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files
    Assuming that your Vista is installed on the C drive. To see it, not only do you have to check 'show hidden files & folders' option in the Folder Options, but also uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files/folders' option.
    But wait a sec, where is the index.dat file ?
    To access it, you will have to type in Explorers address bar the following location and click go:
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tem porary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    Only then will you be able to see the index.dat file. Conclusion ? The Content.IE5 folder is 'super' hidden!
    Source.

So unhide the folder. Also Take Ownership of the folder and the search for your .doc in it. To take ownership, you may also use our Ultimate Windows Tweaker, add the options to the context menu and do so easily. You may have to be logged in as admin.

Hope that helps you retrieve the file.