DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE issue.....

robertwnielsen is offline Beginner

Default IE issue.....

I ran a registry cleaner, and some important information pertaining to Internet Explorer accidentally got deleted. IE8 still works, but it doesn't show up in Vista's "set default programs" menu, and email links don't work. Is there anything I can do, short of a full R&R (reformat & reinstall)?

TIA,

Robert

gr277 is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by robertwnielsen View Post
    I ran a registry cleaner, and some important information pertaining to Internet Explorer accidentally got deleted. IE8 still works, but it doesn't show up in Vista's "set default programs" menu, and email links don't work. Is there anything I can do, short of a full R&R (reformat & reinstall)?

TIA,

Robert
    Which Cleaner was it?

Quote Originally Posted by gr277 View Post
    Which Cleaner was it?
    Wise Registry Cleaner

iMav is offline Gold Member

Try re-installing IE 8 for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Try re-installing IE 8 for starters.

Did that - several times, in fact. Every time, when I go to the "set default programs" menu, IE doesn't appear.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

if you did a back up of registries before cleaning, then you'll easily come out of this problem by restoring otherwise you have to setup email links again manually, for getting IE back in default program list, open default programs from control panel, then click on set associations, scroll for html filetype from the list, then click on change program and IE from the list of the programs available there, click ok. now IE is back in the list of default programs....

Quote Originally Posted by nitinagarwal1988 View Post
    if you did a back up of registries before cleaning, then you'll easily come out of this problem by restoring otherwise you have to setup email links again manually, for getting IE back in default program list, open default programs from control panel, then click on set associations, scroll for html filetype from the list, then click on change program and IE from the list of the programs available there, click ok. now IE is back in the list of default programs....
    Unfortunately, I didn't do a backup of the registry before cleaning. When I go into set associations, .htm and .html are both registered to IE, but when I try to register the HTTP under protocols, Firefox comes up as the only available program. It's not a problem, per se, so much as an inconvenience.

once reset IE8's to its default settings and give a uninstallation to Firefox??

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Wise Registry Cleaner was not so wise!

I recommend against using registry cleaners but if you do use one do a backup before cleaning and CCleaner is probably the safest one to use if there is such a thing.

hey, use ultimate windows tweaker for fixing your problems.....it may fix all your problem, give it a try.....download it from the homepage...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast