DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix: Windows explorer has stopped working

jtischle is offline New Member

Default Fix: Windows explorer has stopped working

I have a dell experion running Windows. I was checking my webmail in an ie explorer window and then I attempted to open windows explorer and I received the message:

Windows explorer has stopped working

My task bar and desktop icons disappeared but my ie explorer kept working so I continued to do some web surfing for a half hour and then shut down the computer which prompted me to install updates before shutting down.

The next morning when I started up my computer, I clicked on the user I wanted to log in as and then a black screen appeared and my desktop never appeared, it just stayed as a black screen. I can only access Task Manager through CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

I've attempted to log off and reboot, but even if I try to log on as another user, only a black screen appears.

I plan on contacting Dell Support when I'm home tonight, but other than them helping me, does anyone have any other advice?

Thanks!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Try a System Restore to a good earlier time.

Also see if something at Windows Explorer Crashes Or Freezes Frequently helps you.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

USe ccleaner and clear ur temp files regularly that might help and a system restore might sort out the black screen issue..

The system restore is not working (I've gone back to 4 different dates, including when I last did a backup). I called Dell and they said that I'd have to do a Dell Factory Image Restore - ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!??? I mean I've backed up my files, but I would have to reinistall all of my software I've loaded!?

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm going to try a "Windows Complete PC Restore" from my external drive, however Dell didn't reccommend that (can't hurt to try can it).

I feel the guy I talked to was an idiot, and I asked him how many years he's been doing Dell tech support and he said 5. Do I call back and get a second opinion?

ravi_9793 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtischle View Post
    I mean I've backed up my files, but I would have to reinistall all of my software I've loaded!?
    All softwares that came with your Dell laptop will be installed with factory default restore.. however softwares which were installed by you need to re-installed by you again.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm going to try a "Windows Complete PC Restore" from my external drive, however Dell didn't reccommend that (can't hurt to try can it).
    Dell tech staff will always recommend to use Dell system restore.

I feel the guy I talked to was an idiot, and I asked him how many years he's been doing Dell tech support and he said 5. Do I call back and get a second opinion?
    yes, try giving another call.. but I doubt it will help you. All laptop companies only suggest factory default restore in case of any OS related problem.

Good luck

So, I contacted Dell again, this time by chat (instead of phone). This girl stayed on the phone with me for Two Hours trying to help. I'm running a chkdsk now that's going to take a couple of hours, so she said she'd call me back. She thinks I have a bad registry key.

See, I can log into windows, but that's when it hangs. She thinks I may need to reinstall too. Boo. Waiting for the chkdsk to finish....

UGH!

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i think you've got a recovery disk with your PC, use that......it will help...

I'm really good about saving all of my CD & disks however I've somehow managed to misplace my Vista OS CD. Dell is sending me a replacement.

The chkdsk did find a "bad file" and attempted to fix it. The computer restarted and attempted to run some type of fix process, but that still didn't work. I rebooted again in safe mode, and I still have the black screen after I log in.

I'm going to attempt a recovery from my backup, but when I tried to do that before, it didn't find my attached drive. Maybe me not having it turned on when the computer booted up was the problem. I realize I can do a Dell Restore and it will restore my pre-installed software, but I've installed a bunch of software myself which I'll have to reinstall. Not to mention re-setup all of my photo albums I created through my Kodak ez-share software.

My PC isn't even a year old and this crap is happening. Dell suggested calling Microsoft to see if they can provide any additional support prior to doing a restore. Again, UGH!

iMav is offline Gold Member

1. Try uninstalling anything new you installed in the week since you've been faicn ghtis issue.

2. Go though the article & comments here: Exploring Our Matrix: The Vista Black Screen After Login Mystery...Solved!

seti is offline Member

This has shown why we should all have a rescue disk ready incase of these problems. I think my friend tweakwindows has a tutorial on how to make one some where, (sorry tweak if this is not so). The thing is, is to think of the worst possible thing that can go wrong and plan for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast