DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User Folders - changing default paths

datincan is offline New Member

Default User Folders - changing default paths

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help, I've just made an error this time I've moved two folders in documents to a seperate drive, when I was moving the second I got a warning saying there should only be one personal folder on a drive, other wise errors will occour...I accidently hit yes instead of no to contuniue, the result was two shortcuts to the 2nd drive. These both full behave like the drive icons on "my computer", and can not be removed or deleted. Would anyone have any ideas on how to reset my user folders.
    By the way for anyone, having difficulty moving the folders, in addiation to the above instructions to move a folder you need to create a new folder on the destaniation drive, (call it the name of the folder you want to move), and then direct your indivdual folder i.e. videos, into the new folder on the destaniation drive. Trying to move two folders directly to the same destination will result in my error above.
    Any help here would be appricated.

Last edited by James; 14th April 2009 at 15:39. Reason: Moved here to create new thread

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by datincan View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help, I've allways done the above, but Ive just made an error this time I've moved two folders in documents to a seperate drive, when I was moving the second I got a warning saying there should only be one personal folder on a drive, other wise errors will occour...I accidently hit yes instead of no to contuniue, the result was two shortcuts to the 2nd drive. These both full behave like the drive icons on "my computer", and can not be removed or deleted. Would anyone have any ideas on how to reset my user folders.
    By the way for anyone, having difficulty moving the folders, in addiation to the above instructions to move a folder you need to create a new folder on the destaniation drive, (call it the name of the folder you want to move), and then direct your indivdual folder i.e. videos, into the new folder on the destaniation drive. Trying to move two folders directly to the same destination will result in my error above.
    Any help here would be appricated.
    Kind of lost here, could you explain again, maybe post a few screen shots :|
    Last edited by James; 14th April 2009 at 15:37. Reason: Copied post from another thread

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I am kind of lost here too. I moved all those folders from my C: drive to and data partition "P" without incident.

But for resetting to the way it was before, why don't you try a system restore to a prior restore point.

Hi, I didnít mean to start a new thread, I thought I was adding to the one below.

I have tried a system restore, no luck, my next effort will be to start again by creating a new user profile, copying my user app data, etc, and deleting the present profile. I'd prefer not to have to do that if anyone knows a simple workaround.

Basically when I went to move a second personal folder to a partition on a second drive (in the same machine) I got the error below, this after I accidently hit yes not no, to the first screen.
    Straight away the first folder and the second folder which I moved turned into drive icons (and behave exactly like the drive icon as it appears in my computer".

WHS is your P drive a partition on the same drive? My E drive is a second physical drive on the machine, maybe thereís an issue here?

Thanks for looking again...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.winvistaclub.com/forum/wi...ows-vista.html
    Last edited by datincan; 14th April 2009 at 20:06.

whs

My P:\ is a partition. Why don't you make a partition on your second drive (with Disk management) and then just move them to the partition - not a folder within the partition. It should not matter whether it is the same drive or a different drive - as long as it is a separate partition.
    Last edited by whs; 14th April 2009 at 20:15.

Thanks whs, my E is a partition on a second drive, the problem seems to be that I moved one of the personal folders to a system drive (see the screen shot the first one) where there was already a personal folder (the first personal folder i moved).
    I have moved the rest successfully by creating individual folders for each personal folder to be moved into. After redirecting the personal folders into the folders I created, the created folders actually change their icon to the icon of the folder which it contains, so it actually appears as if the personal folder is on the drive.. Clear as mud??
    Thanks Again..

Last edited by datincan; 14th April 2009 at 20:27.

whs

OK, understand. As usual, it's learning by trying.

Going on the above would anyone have any ideas on how to get the two drive links out of the user name folder?? Even under the user folder they behave as they are the on the root of the system?
    Any thoughts appricated...

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by datincan View Post
    Hi, I didnít mean to start a new thread, I thought I was adding to the one below.
    I created the new thread, just for the sake of clarity.
    Welcome to the WVClub, by the way!

Thanks James, I guess a new thered was in order,
    Good site, theres a lot going on here...Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast