DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Partitioned Hard Drive Disappeared

idk09 is offline New Member

Default HELP!! Partitioned Hard Drive Disappeared

I partitioned my hard drive awhile back to put my music and pictures on it. When I woke up today it was gone. All my my music and pictures are the originals so I have no backups. I was wondering if there is anyway to recover it. I tried System Recovery but it didnt work. Thanks to anyone that helps.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Did you check whether it was also gone from Disk Management (Computer management > Disk Management). You may have just lost the drive letter, but that is easy to reestablish. Disk partitions don't just disappear like that.

It's in Disk Management but it wont let me give it a Drive Letter.

whs

Does it have a drive letter in Disk Management? And when you right click on it, is there no option to change the drive letter? Maybe you could post a snip of your Disk Management like this:

Last edited by whs; 21st April 2009 at 03:54.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

hey try stellar phoniex or tuneup utilities undelete to recover all your data back safely. and after recovering them do a safe back up of them.
    Stellar Phoniex | Tuneup utilities

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Since it shows up in your Disk Management and these are your only originals, take caution that you do not re-partition anything or move / paste data to that drive somehow. The data should be recoverable.

What all options does Disk Management give you when you right click it? Does it give you the options of Open or Explore?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

It could have happened when you were shutting down the PC while the hard drive was being accessed resulting in possible damage to the boot record.

So first try to recover your data using freeware Disk Investigator or maybe the programs as suggested above.

Not sure, but under Action tab, click on Rescan Disks and see if it helps.

Also post a screenshot, as suggested above, here. This will give all an idea on how to proceed.

whs

As was said above, it is probably prudent to recover/secure your data first before you do any further experiments. I suggest you use Knoppix for that.
    Computer First Aid Using Knoppix

Disk Management:

The 50GB is the one that doesnt show

When I click on Change Drive Letter and Paths it show this

I tried to use Tuneup utilities and Stellar Phoniex but the drive I want to recover doesnt show up and I couldnt figure out Disk Investigator or Knoppix.

Is it possible to install Vista on that drive an not delete then get everything off of it. I wont do this unless someone says it can be done with losing anything.
    Last edited by idk09; 22nd April 2009 at 18:58.

whs

Your pictures don't show. Here is a little guideline for posting pictures on a Forum:

1. Create your account at http://photobucket.com/ - real easy
    2. Use the folder with your name on it or create a subfolder (recommended). You do that on the left side where it says "New Album" > Save
    3.Go to "Upload Images and Videos", somewhere in the middle. Now click on "Choose Files". This will most likely bring up your "Pictures" folder (but you can select another folder). Double click on the file you want to upload. After a few seconds you will see it. Now single click on your picture. On top of the picture you will see “Resize”. The best size to pick is 640X480.
    4. If you want to post this picture directly on the Forum, click on IMG Code (last link), then right click on that and COPY. If you only want to post the link to the picture, click on Direct link, then right click and COPY. Then you got it in your clipboard (from where you Paste).
    5. Now you can paste this into your posting. If you chose IMG, the picture will only show up AFTER you posted. In the posting you will only see the link. If you chose "Direct link", it will just be a link.
    Last edited by whs; 22nd April 2009 at 01:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast