DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Lots of disk activity

SoundMix is offline Beginner

Default Lots of disk activity

Seems like my disk activity light is on more than it should be. The problem may have something to do with indexing?

This message shows up in my event log as a warning.

ESENT
    Event: ID 510
    Task Category: Performance

Windows (3168) Windows: A request to write to the file "D:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications \Windows\Windows.edb" at offset 8847360 (0x0000000000870000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (34136 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. In addition, 0 other I/O requests to this file have also taken an abnormally long time to be serviced since the last message regarding this problem was posted 81741 seconds ago. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Does anybody have any idea why I might be having this problem?

Thanks -- Paul

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I would run a chkdsk /f from command prompt.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I would do a complete disk image and then run a chkdsk /f from command prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I would run a chkdsk /f from command prompt.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Disable search indexing for a day or two and see if it helps. If it does, then you know what the problem is.

Rebuild index and see. Open Control Panel > System & Maintenance > Indexing Options. In the Advanced Options, Click on Restore Defaults and also Rebuild Index. Click OK.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Roraniel, Ya, that's probably not a bad idea - if the poster has the tools and facilities. If not, the purchase of a Maxtor One Touch disk would be a good idea, because that comes with the Maxtor Manager which is a Backup/Imaging program.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Good advice for anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Roraniel, Ya, that's probably not a bad idea - if the poster has the tools and facilities. If not, the purchase of a Maxtor One Touch disk would be a good idea, because that comes with the Maxtor Manager which is a Backup/Imaging program.

seti is offline Member

Firstly do a complete check disk. Then try turning off system restore, do a if you have winpatrol, you can check what has started throught which is the easiest way of doing it, you can also turn off features from Vista that you do not need.

SoundMix is offline Beginner

Many thanks to all!

Paul